Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Put my soft top on today/yesterday, oh my lord what a PITA!!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkob1060
this is the only part I dont understand you having so much trouble with, not sure why you had trouble getting the clips to the hooks, the rest of the top isnt connected yet right? I mean thats the first thing you do when you put it up, just hook them loosely.....I'm not sure if thats even what you mean

It will get easier though that is for sure
that is correct, my problem was even getting the clips to the latch hooks. Nothing was attached but that little bugger is/was so tight that I had to press down on the top itself to get the small hooks to catch....

I like the ideas of maybe candle wax or soap to help out as well..
Old 04-24-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I gotta try the soap or wax out too, I have the zipper lube and that does help alot when first put on, so if the soap/wax is even better then great
Old 04-24-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah I gotta try the soap or wax out too, I have the zipper lube and that does help alot when first put on, so if the soap/wax is even better then great
how will that look on my street if some mother and her kids walk up to me and I am rubbing a bar of soap on my Jeep zippers, and start tugging at them?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by redsfan
how will that look on my street if some mother and her kids walk up to me and I am rubbing a bar of soap on my Jeep zippers, and start tugging at them?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
I remember when I first took my top on/off how much of a PITA it was. I can definitely relate. But..it DOES get better with time. The fact that you did it when it was cold had alot to do with it being such a pain. The more you put it up and down, the easier it will become. Also, you might want to get some wax to put on the zippers to "lube" them. It might make it easier as well.
i just want to chime in and echo Toads sentiment.

your stealership sells a soft top zipper lube. its a good investment. i think i paid like $12 (dont quote me) and i have to say it was worth every penny.

dont let them talk you into the soft window cleaner. not worth it. (IMHO)
Old 04-24-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paramaniac
i just want to chime in and echo Toads sentiment.

your stealership sells a soft top zipper lube. its a good investment. i think i paid like $12 (dont quote me) and i have to say it was worth every penny.

dont let them talk you into the soft window cleaner. not worth it. (IMHO)
to be honest the stealerships up by my here are clueless when it comes to Jeep accessories. I will drop in for laughs to see if they sell the zipper lube, otherwise I'll check out my local parts store. As long as I can't damage the windows, I'll give them a try as they seem to be the biggest pain..
Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

like this lube, bar of soap is cheaper though, I almost want to go put my windows in to try the soap
http://www.quadratec.com/products/91083_400.htm
Old 04-24-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Hey Redsfan did you notice that with the latches you can "make the latch extend further" by pushing on both the latch and the latch "clamp" the part you push on to tighten the latch, effectively flattening the whole mechanism pushing the latch hook out further. Then a gentle push up on the latch will hook it over the latch bar. I didn't realize this at first and had to sit in the jeep and think real hard because the distance seem way too much. When I realized my mistake it got a lot easier (also helped to push down on the roof at the windshield header (gently).
Old 04-24-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

like this lube, bar of soap is cheaper though, I almost want to go put my windows in to try the soap
http://www.quadratec.com/products/91083_400.htm
thats the stuff i have. works great!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fathom
Hey Redsfan did you notice that with the latches you can "make the latch extend further" by pushing on both the latch and the latch "clamp" the part you push on to tighten the latch, effectively flattening the whole mechanism pushing the latch hook out further. Then a gentle push up on the latch will hook it over the latch bar. I didn't realize this at first and had to sit in the jeep and think real hard because the distance seem way too much. When I realized my mistake it got a lot easier (also helped to push down on the roof at the windshield header (gently).
no I didn't. I did realize that the smaller latch does extend down a bit to grasp the clamp a bit easier than I first though. I did also find it a bit easier to pull down on the windshield like you said then clamp in the smaller piece..

Quick Reply: Put my soft top on today/yesterday, oh my lord what a PITA!!