Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Put my soft top on today/yesterday, oh my lord what a PITA!!

Old 04-24-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put my soft top on today/yesterday, oh my lord what a PITA!!

YEAH, we started this last night, I finished it off today! Nice weather coming I wanted to install the new top this weekend...I knew it would be a pain, but never figured it to be this hard:

1. took the hard top off last night with some help, no biggie
2. the surrounds were a pain to install because we had to unzip some of the covers, etc..got that done though
3. left the soft top in last night, started at it this morning
4. I was able to get this stifff s.o.b. raised up this morning and get my two side windows installed. My opinions:

I was able to get the top to stretch to my front clips after some kind of force!
The drip rail retainers were a bit of a pain mainly due to being new. They got done except for the passenger side where the end of the front retainers won't lock. This is the middle part....

p,s, watching the video it looks like the smaller top fold is what I can't do..

The windows were a total NIGHTMARE! The zippers were soooo stiff I ripped apart my hands, and have blisters to show. I sure hope they loosen up with sun/wind, etc. The rear window was a pain, as i couldn't get the zip to work from driver to passenger side. In the end it's about 99% fine now. I installed my brackets the wrong way at first, but was helped in turning them the right way and got the window installed...

In terms of the fold, I couldn't quite make it as nice as some other threads here, ie. like doojer. I thought I got two folds in it, but maybe not? It sits and drops a wee bit in the passenger cabin still. I am watching the video so probably have to play with it still...

I sure do hope this becomes easy, otherwise, I will deeply regreat buying the soft top!!! First time install so I'm sure it will get easier with everything...
Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Next time let it sit in the sun for about an hour. Once the plastic warms up it become easier to stretch and more pliable.

It will not be that difficult every time. I have no issue with mine whatsoever now that I have done it a few times.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw man, sorry it was such a biatch! I can tell you that, although apparently I've never been able to fold it as nicely as some people can, it seems to work well enough for me. The window zippers should be lubed up with some wd-40 or even barsoap. The side ones shouldn't be too bad but the back one can suck. The surrounds should just push in and line up with the hoes in the rollbar. I never had an issue, maybe your rollbar fabric is off aligned or something? Putting it up and down becomes way, way easier. It used to take me a while, but now it takes me no time at all.

I would like to figure out how to get it that flat, though....
Old 04-24-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

I second the "gets way way easier..." I am ashamed to say that it took me 1.5 hours the first time to get it up..... the top that is. Because it took so long the first time I time it every time now. Down to maybe 15 minutes and that is taking off the boot and replacing the frames. The frames are real easy (if you stand 6' or more) if you just line up the bottom hole and slide it onto the upper spport bar making sure to not catch any of the cover material.

The first time I had to use an upholstery tool on the side window zips (kinda like a screw driver with a angle at the tip) and pure elbow grease on the back window. The back window is the part that still takes the most time.

Like we said, it gets ALOT easier!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the condolences guys, lol. Would wd40 not harm the windows themselves if I was to over spray the zipper? It was actually somewhat warm here today in the morning, but only around 50 or so...when I got home it was mid 60's but cloudy, so that didn't help either..I'll keep playing with this thing and I'm sure it will get easier. by the way, won't the material stretch by just sitting out and moving about? The fear of putting the top up and down again right now is scary as my hands are beaten up!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

It was almost 90 today in Georgia and my JK had been sitting in the sun all day .. it was amazing how easily all the pieces of the top unzipped and just "fell" apart. When it gets below 70 degrees or so the top really shrinks down and gets stiff making it all so much harder. I heard that you can rub the zippers with a bar of soap to keep them slick.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

WD40 is fish oil but what the propellant carrier is I can't say. I do know that if you spray the stuff in your eyes it hurts like he.. (did that when I was taking off the clamps changing out the muffler)

Soap or wax should work great but my problem was at the back window where alignment was tough (just before and after the corners) to obtain (still is but warmer temps have made it feasible).
Old 04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi

Barsoap really does work well. But you can use wd-40 just spray it on a rag and wipe it on the zipper. Wet ones work well, too, if you're on the trail and the dust is getting at the zipper.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I vote for paraffin or candle wax. Old-school jeepers wouldn't use anything else!

I have a bottle of the Mopar Zipper Lube, but have much better luck with the wax.

BTW - WD-40 really isn't a "lube". WD stands for "Water Displacement" and 40 is for "40th try". Developed to help waterproof the Atlas missle. Great for cleaning grease, putting a rust-resistant film on you tools, spray on your water-drenched electricals to get them working again, and can be used as a penetrator lube in a pinch. Don't like it at all for any real lube jobs.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by redsfan
I was able to get the top to stretch to my front clips after some kind of force!
this is the only part I dont understand you having so much trouble with, not sure why you had trouble getting the clips to the hooks, the rest of the top isnt connected yet right? I mean thats the first thing you do when you put it up, just hook them loosely.....I'm not sure if thats even what you mean

It will get easier though that is for sure

Quick Reply: Put my soft top on today/yesterday, oh my lord what a PITA!!