Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Pulling out a tree stump with tow hook?

Old 10-11-2013, 04:03 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pay a stump grinding service to remove it. A guy in Denver was trying the same thing using a strap with a hook on the end. The strap broke and the hook went through the back window and killed him.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Helped my buddy do this once - would not again. Too much clutch smell.
I have an auto but one has to be careful if on a lawn. I have moved sheds loaded with stuff, pulled some small trees, it sometimes works better than my tractor for gently sliding stuff around.

But spinning mud tires over even once does nothing to improve the lawns appearance.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-11-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ncb
Pay a stump grinding service to remove it. A guy in Denver was trying the same thing using a strap with a hook on the end. The strap broke and the hook went through the back window and killed him.
He had to be reefing on it pretty hard to break it if it was not already damaged/fatigued. One can tell if a vehicle, object, anything is going to pull without getting crazy.

There is no point is getting a running start and snatching hard. That is just stupid.

But I have hired a stump grinding service before and it is certainly a good idea if it is anything but a small stump.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-11-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the right way for stump grinding but if you hire tree stump removal experts, they will remove it permanently.

Last edited by resharp001; 01-31-2020 at 08:04 AM. Reason: removal of re-direct link
Old 02-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Used to pull stumps where I grew up on farm 50 years back. Tractor was only 40HP so had to use strategy - one was dynamite (I grew up in New Zealand, My Grandad used it for fishing as well) the other was using a chain wrapped down as low as you can and almost undermining the stump roots then simply drive away. and make the chain cut the roots. Make sure you use the chain and no jerking. If the connection breaks loose then no whiplash occurs. Nylon stretches.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 02-02-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
. Nylon stretches.
And that is a good reason to use webbing/ strap, either nylon or polyester, polyester is more common and strong, they both stretch, then like said in an earlier post, then it goes to work, you get the stretch, then the "unstretch" is where you get the advantage of the webbing pulling more

Quick Reply: Pulling out a tree stump with tow hook?