Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Pulling out a tree stump with tow hook?

Old 10-09-2013, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling out a tree stump with tow hook?

So my dad asked me to help him pull out a small tree stump with my Jeep. I'm a bit reluctant since I've never done this. I have the 2011 2 door with manual transmission, with the single tow hook in back and then 2 tow hooks on the front bumper. I've read plenty of things regarding not using the tow points in front for fear of messing up the transmission. Aside from the dangers of using a chain or strap in general, do y'all recommend using the rear tow hook or will that present an issue and mess my Jeep up? Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

How big of a stump are you talking about? You can use the hooks that's what they are for. Just don't try to jerk it out by having slack in the rope and then giving it gas. Dig it out as much as possible and cut any large roots.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v8zracer260z
How big of a stump are you talking about? You can use the hooks that's what they are for. Just don't try to jerk it out by having slack in the rope and then giving it gas. Dig it out as much as possible and cut any large roots.
X2 Hopefully it's a really small stump. If not, you'd be much better off with a pickup truck.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

I snatch trees out of the orchard all the time with my jeep (manual trans). It seems the chain bites more into the tree and the jerk gets them moving.

I've just been doing it this way for 20 years with all of my trucks.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-09-2013, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better wear a helmet!! Just kidding... It would depend on the stump size and how much of the root system has been cut. Post a pic so we can get a better idea of what you're talking about.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straps work well, back up until its tight then slowly apply tension, the strap will stretch then start to do it's job. The "floor it and jerk it " method ? Usually more amusing than effective.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. Just waned to make sure it's a reasonable task to pull the stump out with the rear tow hook. Small stump, roots cut out but can't be pulled out by hand.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by klutchdust
Straps work well, back up until its tight then slowly apply tension, the strap will stretch then start to do it's job. The "floor it and jerk it " method ? Usually more amusing than effective.
I also just use a strap. The rear tow hook should be fine as long as it is at the end of the frame rail.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So, how'd it go? Who won, the Jeep or the stump?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Helped my buddy do this once - would not again. Too much clutch smell.

Quick Reply: Pulling out a tree stump with tow hook?