Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

is a PROGRAMMER worth purchasing?

Old 08-25-2016, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a PROGRAMMER worth purchasing?

Thinking of purchasing a programmer that I can use on my JK, RAV4 and RIDGELINE. What functions, price range do I look for?
Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your talking about buying 3 separate programmers, not one. Any programmer gets VIN locked to the vehicle it is on, and most that I am aware of are specific to a certain family of vehicles for a group of years. So your looking at around $400 each for the 3 units.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Are you wanting a PROGRAMMER? Or a TUNER? The PROGRAMMERs will have a lot of nifty features, but no TUNING. TUNERs will have all of the nifty features of the PROGRAMMERS, but will also have TUNING to give a minor boost to hp and torque.

PROGRAMMERS are around $150ish, the aev procal and superchips flashcal are the two most popular.

TUNERS are up in the $400 to $800ish range, depending on features. Superchips flashpaq is probably the most popular, and diablosport is an option.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

IMO the tuner is the way to go, depending on what's been done. After installing larger tires on my jeep it brought back the performance like it should be.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is not only worth it but required if you change gears. Or you could pay the dealer to reflash the gear setting for the same price or maybe a little more or less than the cost of a programmer. Otherwise, you will enter limp mode. That's where the Jeep computer thinks something is wrong and locks the transmission in third gear so you can "limp" to the dealership. So if you plan on a gear change in the future, then yes, worth every penny.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Are you wanting a PROGRAMMER? Or a TUNER? The PROGRAMMERs will have a lot of nifty features, but no TUNING. TUNERs will have all of the nifty features of the PROGRAMMERS, but will also have TUNING to give a minor boost to hp and torque.

PROGRAMMERS are around $150ish, the aev procal and superchips flashcal are the two most popular.

TUNERS are up in the $400 to $800ish range, depending on features. Superchips flashpaq is probably the most popular, and diablosport is an option.
This is all new to me so thanks for the info. Did not realize the programmers are vehicle specific. I will probably be looking at one of the brands of programmers you guys mentioned for my JK.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, they lock to the specific vehicle VIN. Keeps you from passing it around to everyone you know to give them free programming/tuning.

The flashcal has a screen and is internet updatable. Which can be a pain since the connection/update process can sometimes have issues, and their tech support isn't the greatest.

The procal uses simple dipswitches. Set the switches, plug it in, honk honk, you're done. I have found that it is by far the more reliable of the two. But it doesn't have the fancy screen that a lot of people need.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I think I'll be getting the Super Chips Flashcal in the near future. My thought is this seems to be the best path for cost and flexibility. I can find a Flashcal for $160-$175 and then superchips is offering a S/W update for $99 which upgrades the Flashcal into the Flashpaq. So less than $300 you can get a Flashpaq which typically runs about $400. However, the S/W update for the 2015+ Flashpaq is more expensive.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I think I'll be getting the Super Chips Flashcal in the near future. My thought is this seems to be the best path for cost and flexibility. I can find a Flashcal for $160-$175 and then superchips is offering a S/W update for $99 which upgrades the Flashcal into the Flashpaq. So less than $300 you can get a Flashpaq which typically runs about $400. However, the S/W update for the 2015+ Flashpaq is more expensive.
That's how I did it. But a month or so after getting the flashcal, SC had a 50% off the flashpaq upgrade sale.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:41 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
It is not only worth it but required if you change gears. Or you could pay the dealer to reflash the gear setting for the same price or maybe a little more or less than the cost of a programmer. Otherwise, you will enter limp mode. That's where the Jeep computer thinks something is wrong and locks the transmission in third gear so you can "limp" to the dealership. So if you plan on a gear change in the future, then yes, worth every penny.
So I'm having my gears changed right now, before I drive you say i must reflash the gear setting? Having my gear change at 4Wheel Parts and nothing was said when I purchased the gears so is this truly required for manual or is it only for an auto?

Quick Reply: is a PROGRAMMER worth purchasing?