Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Problems when turning sharp in 4WD

Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems when turning sharp in 4WD

This may be normal but I wouldn't know cause this is my first jeep. I am looking at buying a JK with a 3" suspension lift and 33s. When I put it in 4WD AND take a sharp turn (5 mph) the wheel fights me and the front end rocks back and fort pretty bad (on pavement). Is this normal? Or is something very wrong with the suspension or 4WD system? I haven't bought it yet so I need to know if this is a walk away scenario.

Last edited by Chatta-Jeep; 04-27-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats normal on sharp turns with 4wd on
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Totally normal in 4wd to have a rough, bumpy feeling in the front end when turning the wheel sharply at low speeds ie pulling into a parking spot or similar. I've experienced this in all of my 4x4s.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Thats normal in 4 wheel drive systems. 4 wheel drive likes straight more than turns and is really meant for loose surfaces unless going straight. It actually is not the best for your drive system on concrete or asphalt in 4 wheel drive. Specifically taking tight turns. I would avoid it on concrete and asphalt surfaces if you can.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to avoid using four by four on dry asphalt. It can ruin your front end. I never use mine unless I have to. I live in the snow belt and used it only ONCE to get out of my unplowed over ice driveway.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chatta-Jeep
This may be normal but I wouldn't know cause this is my first jeep. I am looking at buying a JK with a 3" suspension lift and 33s. When I put it in 4WD AND take a sharp turn (5 mph) the wheel fights me and the front end rocks back and fort pretty bad (on pavement). Is this normal? Or is something very wrong with the suspension or 4WD system? I haven't bought it yet so I need to know if this is a walk away scenario.
Yes, this is normal. This is why the owner's manual tells you to NOT do that.

Do NOT operate 4WD on dry, hard, surfaces such as asphalt and concret.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is perfectly normal, but it isn't the front end that will get messed up if you do it too much but the transfer case will probably experience a tiny bit of premature wear if you do it too often on a high traction surface like dry/wet pavement. The reason being in true 4WD (like our JKs have) there is NO differential in the transfer case so that even in zero traction situations you will have power go to at least one front and one rear wheel (couple that with axle differential locks and you will get power to all 4 wheels).

When you go around a tight turn, trace out the distance traveled by your tires. In a tight turn your front wheels need to travel a much greater distance than your rear wheels (you essentially pivot on the rear tires while the front tires go around them). However, without the differential in the transfer case both the front and rear axles are trying to turn at the same rate. This results in the drivetrain "binding" that you are feeling when doing sharp turns in 4WD.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help guys! Rookie question I know.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in snow country as well, no 4WD low on pavement! and 4wd high only as needed, good tires handle most winter road conditions without 4wd 90% of the time.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good thing to learn Chatta!

Quick Reply: Problems when turning sharp in 4WD