Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Problem with turn radius

Old 04-13-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with turn radius

Was in an accident a few months ago. Had some front end work done by a body shop. Now my left turn radius seems decreased - I cant turn as sharp as I used to. This is very evident when I try to park in a parking lot between two cars or attemp a U turn.

What would cause this?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Rocker
Was in an accident a few months ago. Had some front end work done by a body shop. Now my left turn radius seems decreased - I cant turn as sharp as I used to. This is very evident when I try to park in a parking lot between two cars or attemp a U turn.

What would cause this?
Could be a number of things, but I'd check your steering stabilizer first. I had the opposite problem, where I could barely turn right at all... turns out that my steering stabilizer had rotated out of position and its travel was being inhibited.

I don't really know how the stabilizer could cause the opposite problem, but it's at least worth looking at and ruling out...

Also: Get a friend, and sit them in your drivers seat (parked). You go in front of your Jeep and then have them turn the wheel full-right, and observe what's moving under the Jeep. Then have them go full-left with the wheel, and see if you can find anything that looks like it's "blocking" the travel...

Hope that helps!

Edit: If the shop that did the work didn't put your stabilizer back in its stock position, and put it too far toward the passenger side, I would imagine that it would cause the problem you're describing, because the strut wouldn't be able to extend far enough for a full-left turn.

Last edited by MJS_Jeep_888; 04-13-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default probably this....

have the sector shaft splines looked at on your steering box. If one of your wheels is struck in an accident it is EXTREMELY COMMON for the steering box splines to be twisted- resulting in the vehicle's steering to be pre-loaded in one direction. Your repair shop should have checked this if doing front-end work on your vehicle. Also call your insurance company and let them know you have a supplemental claim and you want a reinspection for steering box damage.This will be included on your original accident claim and won't cost you an additional deductible. These are the splines the pitman arm bolts to....

Quick Reply: Problem with turn radius