Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Problem removing soft top - Torx bolts not coming out ??????

Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem removing soft top - Torx bolts not coming out ??????

hey all,

This weekeend the weather was amazing so I wanted to remove my soft top all together...something that I have done numerous times.

This time when I went to remove the 4 bolts....they just sat there and spun....didnt come out....needless to say I just left the top down but attached.

Anyone else have this problem? I am thinking about going with the Bestop Quick Release Bow Knuckles to eliminate this problem.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

not that this helps you in any way...but ive had the exact oppostite issue. I have had 3 of them just fall right out over the past year. I have tightened them and done everything i could but still keep losing them. Those bolts have been immosible to find the exact replacements.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prolly just had sideways pressure on them, next time, pick up or push the bows a little.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

I just bought a used/never used softtop and when they removed the knuckles to get the top off they put them back on the wrong mount points and over tightened one side. Over tightening the bolts will pull the brass zerks free and then they just spin. I had to drill out the bolts and zerks about halfway before they would come out.

I wish I had known there were other options, I just paid $45 for Jeep replacements. You dont get left side or right side, you get the big ones or the little ones. So I had to sand one down.

Sean
Old 07-11-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Bestop Quick Release Bow Knuckles for 97-11 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK & Unlimited
Nylon-reinforced, injected-molded bow knuckles provide quick release and easy removal of bow stack. Kit includes 4 bow knuckles.
» Click here for details $26.99 #11033.002

http://www.quadratec.com/category/Je.../104/index.htm

Check the link out. May help.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

ok ordered the bestop quick release knuckles....just put them on.....turned out the stock ones got too hot and the brass nut part inside the plastic knuckle was just spinning with the bolt....i guess the plastic was too soft......had to pry the stock ones apart.....problem now solved with the bestop ones.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just unbolt the brackets from the cage? That's all I do every winter
Old 07-14-2011, 11:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Coley
Just unbolt the brackets from the cage? That's all I do every winter
That is what I have done, but not this winter. Those particular bolts are just too critical to worry about it. For the price of some quick disconnects you don't have to worry about stripping a nut in the roll bar. Being able to completely remove the top on the great days is just a plus.

Quick Reply: Problem removing soft top - Torx bolts not coming out ??????