Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Problem with ignition ,wont turn over

Old 08-30-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with ignition ,wont turn over

Has enyone had a problem with the ignition switch? I have a 4 dr Wrangler X and the other day I went to start the engine and all I got was "click" I had the battery checked out and it was fine, I by chance turned on my lights and tried the ignition again and "vroom" the engine started!! I also had it happen and the light thing didnt work but opening my driverside door worked??? This is odd and Im not sure if it is a bad igintion switch or a electrial problem in the steering colum, or what? Any Ideas?
Also I had the death wooble and it was corrected when I replaced the steering stablizer bar or also called the steering rack absorber, it has been at least 3mos and have not had any wooble. It was as discribed as an out of control shimmy that you had to have two hands on the wheel and slow to a stop to get back in control. Dealership wouldnt help, said there was no problem. Ive heard that some of the original parts were bad and some were not, this must explain as my 2 dr Wrangler X has never had the wooble.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-re...e-wcm-skreem-2
try this
Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

the ignition problem is that only for electronic keys, my jeep has manual everything except geer box!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by godiva13
the ignition problem is that only for electronic keys, my jeep has manual everything except geer box!
Nope, mines like yours....and I've got it too.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try slipping it into neutral....next time....It seems to be a growing problem with AUTOMATIC's. Not starting...

Some threads that may help:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...matic+starting

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/starting-help-99838/
Old 09-03-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default igintion problems

Sounds like this is a common problem!!So why does it start when I turn on the lights or open the door, and I have also tried moving the streering coloum up and down. All have worked, But If anyone was watching me do this they would think I was nuts, Some kind of crazy ritual My next move then should be the selinoid? or relay switch or ignition switch? Or give it a couple of wacks with a broom stick!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tthis is about the 20th thread ive seen on this exact topic...there HAS to be a fix at the dealership. There is such a limited group of JKrs online on the forums, and even many have the same problem

Quick Reply: Problem with ignition ,wont turn over