Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Preparing ball joint replacement

Old 05-18-2015, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing ball joint replacement

HI guys,

Yup a other ball joint replacement thread
I looked at the video and does not look hard to do.

So let start with the tool:
Since the real cup for the JK upper ball joint look to be none existent, I was thinking to fab my self a angled spacer, what is the angle required ?
For the ball join press I was thinking of a OTC 7249, do I have the adapter for the JK ball joint in there (size only as angle will be addressed by a angled spacer) or a need to add a cup kit?

the ball joint:
I was thinking to put back OEM as lately I do not have the time to do all my maintenance and I cannot trust shop to do maintenance on part that is not OEM, but I'm open to suggestion.

You can also throw any tidbit that can be good to know regarding this type of maintenance

Thanks
Old 05-21-2015, 10:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I replaced all mine with Napa GOLD/Spicer units. That was at 70k, I have 160k now and they are still solid. Best part is the lifetime warranty on them, one goes down the shitter, buy a new one, install, return the old one for a full refund. Compared to the OEM crap, these are SOLID!
Old 05-23-2015, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

Interesting option, I cannot find the information on NAPA web site.
Are they sealed ?
Old 05-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Not sure you have a similar option in your area. Many of the parts stores here will rent you the ball joint press ( you pay for the kit and then bring it back for full refund ).

As for the angle, I think you mean that because of the coil bucket? If so, remove the tires from both sides of the axle, then stuff the side opposite that you are working on and then droop the side you are working on, you won't hit the coil bucket.

If you can afford it, I'd find a ball joint of your choice that isn't OEM, something with metal construction rather than plastic.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jedg
Not sure you have a similar option in your area. Many of the parts stores here will rent you the ball joint press ( you pay for the kit and then bring it back for full refund ).

As for the angle, I think you mean that because of the coil bucket? If so, remove the tires from both sides of the axle, then stuff the side opposite that you are working on and then droop the side you are working on, you won't hit the coil bucket.

If you can afford it, I'd find a ball joint of your choice that isn't OEM, something with metal construction rather than plastic.
In reality we are doing a minimum of 2 jeeps so getting the tools is not that big of a deal especially that it also do u joint, no more hammering
The OTC kits were on sales so I got it cheap, really cheap.

The angle I'm talking is the inner portion of the upper C, did some measurement and at the far end of the C the thickness is 21 MM and on the other side of the ball joint the thickness is 30 MM therefore my receiving cup need to address this change in thickness / the angle. Yes I know I can use washer to address this but instead I will do some geometry and buff a peace of pipe.

Currently my tools need are mostly addressed, now I need to find my self some proper ball joint
Old 05-23-2015, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with synergy. They were 300 for both sides upper and lower. Also there wasn't a perfect cup size for the upper using a snapon brand of press. I couldn't use my impact on it either, not enough room so I used a breaker bar on it and tapped the c with a brass hammer till it popped. Did the u joints while I had the axles out as well.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I lied, they were 250 cause total it was like 312 for balljoints and u-joints and u-joints were like 30 a piece.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Pape
Interesting option, I cannot find the information on NAPA web site.
Are they sealed ?
Yes, they are sealed, have grease nipples included and are HEAVY. YOu have to purchase NAPA lifetime warranty ball Joints and that is what you get. The warranty is the best part.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
... YOu have to purchase NAPA lifetime warranty ball Joints and that is what you get. The warranty is the best part.
"Lifetime warranty" is not legally defined by the government. "Full" and "Limited" are. Usually the lifetime warranty refers to the reasonable lifetime of the part--not of the owner of the part.

Short of reading Napa's warranty, it isn't possible to know how long that warranty really will be. Google "Napa lifetime warranty" and you'll find plenty of complaints about warranties not covered. Not to rag on Napa--they make good parts. Rather, just want to inform consumers who are unaware of warranty law.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
"Lifetime warranty" is not legally defined by the government. "Full" and "Limited" are. Usually the lifetime warranty refers to the reasonable lifetime of the part--not of the owner of the part.

Short of reading Napa's warranty, it isn't possible to know how long that warranty really will be. Google "Napa lifetime warranty" and you'll find plenty of complaints about warranties not covered. Not to rag on Napa--they make good parts. Rather, just want to inform consumers who are unaware of warranty law.
If you find a good napa dealer, You will have NO issues getting your parts warrantied. I have brought back many items for replacement now.

Quick Reply: Preparing ball joint replacement