Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Had problems with your power windows or locks?
I've had problems
12.68%
No problems at all
87.32%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Power windows/lock worth the risk?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There fine... Don't worry... It's every thing that will get ya!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07 51,000 miles, up and down tons of times, no problems
Old 01-15-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

It's still a JEEP, even with power windows
Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 AM
him
JK Enthusiast

Over the years I've had far more trouble with crank than power windows. Of course most of that is non-jeep, but I've never understood the assumption that a hand crank people jerk and twist would be more reliable than a self contained power setup.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Have them, love them ('08 Rubi). Makes it easy to roll down the back windows when the dogs are along for the ride.

I busted off the lock tabs on the connectors (1st by accident, rest on purpose). Now they just "friction fit". No problems in over 3 years of door removal/reinstall. Way easier to take off and put on the doors.

As far as reliability, it's a Jeep for cryin' out loud. It's supposed to break (or so I heard). But I like the convenience.

Power mirrors, on the other hand, are completely over the top luxury SUV crap.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Mines an 07 I bought used. No issues whatsoever as far as reliability goes. Although I get little gremlins from time to time where the windows wont go up or down, but turning off the Jeep, taking out the key then restarting it fixes it.

I'd say it's worth it...
Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Power locks & windows are excellent for security ;you can lock/unlock at touch of a button,interior & exterior lights on,panic button if needed.In a 4dr ,it really is a must,as the rear doors only unlock from the inside-no lock cylinders on the outside.For people who think power mirrors are affections; you can angle them at bad intersections,look down at obstacles ,get the total view.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've always thought manual windows were much less prone to failure than power windows, assuming you are not rough on them.
I traded a truck that had power windows and locks toward my Jeep that doesn't. I did have an door lock failure under warranty with the truck. Every time I put the window(s) up / down I thought great one step closer to that motor wearing out.
Although they may be less convienent, I'm not worried about the manual locks & windows wearing out.

My boys (ages 7 & 5) had never seen manual windows. When they got in the Jeep they thought it was that they got to roll the windows up and down themself, with a handle. I said, "Yea, now that you are big boys you get to roll the windows down yourself, since you are more responsible".
Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 AM
him
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by im-ocd
Every time I put the window(s) up / down I thought great one step closer to that motor wearing out.
:
If you thought that before you should still be thinking it now.

I've driven cars that were solidly over 30 years old with the power windows and door locks going strong.

And when you think about it, wires and magnets don't wear out. The parts that are prone to fail... bearings, cables, rails, brackets, etc., are used by both power and manual windows.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Power Windows

Go for the power windows, they both have pro's and con's get what you like, I have Power, my son has power, my daughter has manual.

Quick Reply: Power windows/lock worth the risk?