Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Power Steering Fail On the Trail

Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fail On the Trail

So after wheeling for a few hours power steering basically stops working properly. It will work while I m moving but if I need to turn the wheel while I m stopped it doesnt have the power. I let it cool down...works fine. I have 35s and its a manual. Do I replace with another OEM steering pump or install a cooling system for the fluid. Or Both.........Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. I think if you replace with an oem one you'll be fine. Never heard of this happening to the oem pump before

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Junkie

You've kinda answered your own question there- if it works after cooling it down then it seems like cooling the fluid would be ideal.

Now if it stops working effectively while you're not in motion but works while you're in motion then you may have some broken vanes within the pump. But you aren't there yet.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 PM
JK Freak

Mine would get so hot it would boil the fluid.
Added a cooler and a filter and changed the fluid. That helped a little.
Finally added hydro assist.
If you have boiled the fliud its probably a good idea to change it.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by atc22
So after wheeling for a few hours power steering basically stops working properly. It will work while I m moving but if I need to turn the wheel while I m stopped it doesnt have the power. I let it cool down...works fine. I have 35s and its a manual. Do I replace with another OEM steering pump or install a cooling system for the fluid. Or Both.........Any help is appreciated.
I think your pump is going. It may not be gone yet, but I suspect the fluid has gotten hot and the plastic vanes in the pump have started bending. It won't get better until you put a new pump in. Happened to me when I had the front axle locked (I assume you don't have lockers in your X).

One other thing you might check: Your serpentine belt could be slipping on the pulley. Just speculation on my part, but if you've never changed it or it's been a while, might not hurt to do so.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

A cooler will help before i installed PSC, ran the stock pump with a cooler it made a big difference.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I think your pump is going. It may not be gone yet, but I suspect the fluid has gotten hot and the plastic vanes in the pump have started bending. It won't get better until you put a new pump in. Happened to me when I had the front axle locked (I assume you don't have lockers in your X).

One other thing you might check: Your serpentine belt could be slipping on the pulley. Just speculation on my part, but if you've never changed it or it's been a while, might not hurt to do so.

I have a truetrac.....I ll try a cooler, new pump and belt, see if that changes things ...not ready for hydro assist yet.! Thanks for all advice.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by atc22
I have a truetrac.....I ll try a cooler, new pump and belt, see if that changes things ...not ready for hydro assist yet.! Thanks for all advice.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I had this exact thing happen to me at Rausch creek. What a bitch!!! Luckily on the highway home it wasn't to bad but pulling into parking spaces, gas stations, making turns etc. Was extremely difficult. After I got back I made an apt. At the dealer and they replaced my power steering pump under warranty, I have had zero problem since.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

I know the thread is a little old but I was curious what Coolers you guys are using? I've had the same issue turning my 37's in the rocks, I've had the fluid boil twice. Time to do something about it before the pump goes.

Thanks
Sean Mack

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fail On the Trail