Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Power Steering Box Leak

Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hellbound. My service writeup said. Check for fluid leak by gearbox. Ordered gearbox. I have not had many issues with them. The only thing that they ever recommended was Nitrogen for the tires. And that was on some paperwork. I will say I surfed many forums until I found this one and I would see problems and potential problems and I would wait a while to get them fixed. It seems that my dealership is in a well to do area and has lots of nitpickers so by the time I bring mine in they've had some experience. Or they just trust me and fix it right away (most of the time.)
Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Yeah I have about 6K on the new box and it seems like its getting loose again.
Does that mean its leaking again?!?!?

I too have this leak with 12k... saw it at 6k and wiped it up dry. Couldnt find a leak so hoped it was a fluke thing. Now at 12k its back... bringing it in Monday. Come to think of it I better check they have one on order as I dont feel like leaving it there for 2 days.

How can I purchase the lifetime extended warranty on an 07 after the fact?

Thanks in advance....
Old 05-13-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JRunner01
Does that mean its leaking again?!?!?

I too have this leak with 12k... saw it at 6k and wiped it up dry. Couldnt find a leak so hoped it was a fluke thing. Now at 12k its back... bringing it in Monday. Come to think of it I better check they have one on order as I dont feel like leaving it there for 2 days.

How can I purchase the lifetime extended warranty on an 07 after the fact?

Thanks in advance....
Any updates on this issue?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, my steering box is also leaking, I am also at around 12K miles. I plan to take it in this week to see what they say.

Walker
Old 02-04-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody else having this happen? Mine doesn't quite look as bad as the pics but twice now in 45k miles I've wiped it clean. No drips on floor, fluid level looks fine, and no steering issues. Would this have anything to do with the steering clunk? I had the clunking but did the 5th wheel grease so thats not an issue any longer, or at least it doesn't bother me as much. Also, I'm beyond the bumper to bumper warranty but, this wouldn't be covered under the lifetime powertrain would it? I think not. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does it to. I have about 30,000 on mine and I wiped it up thinking it was just a spill from the new p/S hose the dealer said the previous owner had done. Well after about 5000 miles its slowly seeping back. Looks like I'm Headed to the jeep dealer. I too bought the extended warranty so I'll probably have to shell out 100 bucks for the deductable but thats better than a couple hundred.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

My wrangler has 40000 on it now and I have been dealing with it since about 12000. All I did to it was that I put the Lucas power steering fluid in it a long time ago and has not done it since. I play as hard as you can in a stock JK.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I've pinpointed where the leak is coming from. It's slowly seeping from under the nut on top in the center. I tried snugging it up and the allen screw in the middle but both are tight. Any body familiar with what this could be? From what I gather, the outer nut gets loosened and then the inner allen screw is for adjustment. Thinking about trying some teflon tape or PS stop leak. Just don't know if I'll screw anything up messin around with it.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

mine used to leak... it stopped on its own about 30,000 miles ago...
Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just wanted to see if there were any updates on this? I noticed that my jeep was doing this and cleaned it added some Lucas power steering leak stop. Then about 300 miles later, it started doing it again slowly. Just wanted to see if anyone has found a fix. I cant afford to replace it so if worse comes to worse, could I just keep adding fluid? I havent noticed any drop in fluid levels even with leak. thanks

Quick Reply: Power Steering Box Leak