Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Power outlet and cig lighter not working!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power outlet and cig lighter not working!

Okay, here is the low down.

I am in the process of installing a cb radio. I bought a cig lighter adapter and went to plug in the radio.....and nuthin!

I went over to my other car, plugged in the radio with the cig lighter and it works fine.

I took my gps and plugged it into both jeep outlets and the gps will not turn on...so I know that it is the jeep and not the radio or the cig lighter adapter that I installed on the radio.

suggestions?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your fuses ... I can't remember the names (M9, M6, and M26 come to mind), but they are labeled on the cover to the fuse box. I think they're labeled with abbreviations of "power" or "accesory." Sorry, too lazy to run out to the garage to check haha.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, while I was waiting for responses I went under the hood and looked at the fuse box.

Looks like number M36 and M6, both are yellow 20 fuses have black spots on the middle....I pulled a different fuse that still works and it doesnt have this problem.

Does the jeep include any "spare" fuses.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Also check to see if there are any in-line fuses on the equipment you installed. I really think it is a fuse problem somewhere. Do you have a voltmeter?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes. Both of the fuses for both power recepticles are blown...kinda odd that would happen. The radio has an in-line fuse but it is still working as I plugged the radio into my other car and it is fine.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Basic13
Yes. Both of the fuses for both power recepticles are blown...kinda odd that would happen. The radio has an in-line fuse but it is still working as I plugged the radio into my other car and it is fine.
Understood. Be careful when getting to the back of these sockets... you can jack up your AC/Heating cables.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why would on need to get to the back of the sockets? I am going to buy some new fuses.

I grabbed a different fuse and put it in the place of the blown fuse...and it works now. I put the fuse back until I can buy some fuses tomorrow.

It's all coming back to me.....I am an insurance adjuster, sometimes I use my own vehicle to write estimates. About 2 weeks ago I grabbed the power inverter at my work and went to use it to power my computer. The inverter started, then stopped working. I specifically remember plugging it into both outlets to get it to work.

I cant believe I forgot that happened......I guess work really owes me 2 fuses. LOL
Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM
JK Freak

Well, there you go. Your inverter pulled too many Amps. I carry a value pack of #10, #20, #25, #30 fuses, along with a fuse tester, in my tool bag.

Glad you got to the bottom of it.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Basic13
"...Looks like number M36 and M6, both are yellow 20 fuses have black spots on the middle....I pulled a different fuse that still works and it doesnt have this problem."
Happened to me once when I was trying to install my gauges...got so frustrated because I had used the power a day earlier to charge my cell phone so it didn't occur to me to check it for power before I started the gauge install!

Originally Posted by OnBelay
"...I carry a value pack of #10, #20, #25, #30 fuses, along with a fuse tester, in my tool bag..."
Good advice and something we do as well!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
I believe the fuses you need are #20s. I've had this happen to me often when we connected the inverter to it, but I think that there is something wrong with the actual connector behind the dash. My continuous battery one (the right one) is always not working but the one on the left is. And the fuses are fine.
Same problem

Quick Reply: Power outlet and cig lighter not working!