Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Possible Fire Danger?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible Fire Danger?

Greetings,

I was reading this thread on a different forum: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=821994 Needless to say, when I was changing oil I noticed that the main plastic fuel lines are about 4-5 inches from the exhaust pipe. Is it just me or does this look like a problem waiting to happen? The ironic thing is that the floor pan right above the fuel lines has an aluminum heat shield attached to it which makes no sense.

Anyways, I think I'm going to get some of that aluminum tape and wrap the fuel lines to be safe. Then I'm going to find an old heat shield at work and Rube Goldberg it to either the exhaust or the fuel lines. I'm not sure why such a bullet proof rig can have such a retarded setup. Also, that vapor canister looks like one good whack from a stick or a rock would shatter it like grandma's hip. Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ignition temp of gas is approx. 530 Kelvin or 495 deg F.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't CJ's have a fire problem where their gas lines were located above the exhaust which cause many CJ to go up in flames?

I think this is a situation we should look into.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default Gas

Originally Posted by Old_School
The ignition temp of gas is approx. 530 Kelvin or 495 deg F.
Gasoline is one of the most dangerous chemicals that the common every day man is allowed to handle. If gasoline were invented today I don't think it would be allowed to be handled as it is currently by the consumer.
Ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which a material will burn or explode. It is the temperature at which a mixture of flammable vapor and air would ignite without a spark or flme. and your temps are correct.
However, liquids with a flash point under 40 °F are considered combustible liquids. Gasoline has a flash point of about -45 °F.The flash point is the temperature at which a flammable liquid vaporizes and is therefore able to ignite. So at 495 deg, F gas would ignite without an outside souce to ignite it, at -45 deg F. gas will give off enough vapors to ignite with an outside source supplying it's ignition. For lack of a better terms "just fuel for thought".
Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing like the facts man. So, what you are saying is if there were a snag to a fuel line, I am toting my kids around in a flame thrower. Nice.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Default flames

don't worry, that paper thin sheet metal will protect you...

seriously... I hope its been tested, or proven not a problem.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:23 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigfish593
Gasoline is one of the most dangerous chemicals that the common every day man is allowed to handle. If gasoline were invented today I don't think it would be allowed to be handled as it is currently by the consumer.
Ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which a material will burn or explode. It is the temperature at which a mixture of flammable vapor and air would ignite without a spark or flme. and your temps are correct.
However, liquids with a flash point under 40 °F are considered combustible liquids. Gasoline has a flash point of about -45 °F.The flash point is the temperature at which a flammable liquid vaporizes and is therefore able to ignite. So at 495 deg, F gas would ignite without an outside souce to ignite it, at -45 deg F. gas will give off enough vapors to ignite with an outside source supplying it's ignition. For lack of a better terms "just fuel for thought".
I bet that Alcohol is pretty high on that list too. My flash point is about a six pack.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

All I know is that if you get under your Jeep and look at the proximity of the fuel lines to the exhaust it looks possible that something dreadful could occur. Maybe a stick could flip up and disconnect the fuel line or some dry brush could get stuck up there and ignite thus causing the fuel line to melt and burn. Who knows? I'm going to protect it just in case.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

that guy seems to think it was an electrical issue, We'll see what happens..

It took Ford a dozen or so Police Officers being killed from poorly designed gas tanks to recall the crown vic...

So who knows.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

You're saying that the gas line under my Jeep is plastic! Is it a rubber line like you find on an atv or boat or any other toys? Or is it hard plastic? I will have to take a look at this myself! Anyway, i thought that the gas line on vehicles (especially Jeeps) had to be made of metal for safety reasons! Is there a solution to this yet. A metal gas line retrofit. A conduit (tubing) made of metal to run the line in. Or do i just increase my life insurance policy!!!

Quick Reply: Possible Fire Danger?