Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

POS Jeep brakes! JUNK!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POS Jeep brakes! JUNK!

anybody else having problems with the front calipers on there JKs? I know 3 guys that have been put in the ditch so far. Im one of them. One guy had to replace his pass. side in June and his driver side locked up last week puttin him in another close call with the ditch. BTW only one of the three Jeeps is modded. The other two are bone stock. What gives?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Jeep brakes suck on stock tires so without question you should upgrade when going larger tires. You can just go with some higher quality pads at first but there are some decently priced "big brake" kits out there for the JK. If the size is the concern, I believe there is one kit which is just a larger caliper but same size rotor. Anything sub $1,000.00 is not too bad as I spent $3,000.00 on just a front big brake kit on my other car.

Unfortunately brakes are always neglected with mods. I cannot count how many "donks" I see with 24"+ and the smallest stock brakes ever. They then bitch about the brakes going out quick on them. Same thing happens to a lot of 4x4 guys out here. Throw on some 37's and then surprised when your brakes cannot keep up. IMO brakes should always be done (even if just upgraded pads at first) when going up size on wheels or tires.

As for the bone stock guys, well that just sucks. Do all jk's come with ABS? The stock brakes really are crap and should be swapped.

Last edited by hombredelassrtas; 10-11-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hombredelassrtas
The Jeep brakes suck on stock tires so without question you should upgrade when going larger tires. You can just go with some higher quality pads at first but there are some decently priced "big brake" kits out there for the JK. If the size is the concern, I believe there is one kit which is just a larger caliper but same size rotor. Anything sub $1,000.00 is not too bad as I spent $3,000.00 on just a front big brake kit on my other car.

Unfortunately brakes are always neglected with mods. I cannot count how many "donks" I see with 24"+ and the smallest stock brakes ever. They then bitch about the brakes going out quick on them. Same thing happens to a lot of 4x4 guys out here. Throw on some 37's and then surprised when your brakes cannot keep up. IMO brakes should always be done (even if just upgraded pads at first) when going up size on wheels or tires.

As for the bone stock guys, well that just sucks. Do all jk's come with ABS? The stock brakes really are crap and should be swapped.
Yeah I agree with you, it just sucks that they put crap parts on them in the factory. I thought I understood why mine went bad, but when bone stock Jeeps are having the same issue I cant help but wonder about the quality control they use.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what are you going to upgrade to?

Teraflex has a kit that I was considering, but have not seen a ton of feedback on them yet.
looks like it's an easy enough swap. rotors, pads, and they say to use a HD master cylinder with it.

I know just adding stainless lines gave my buddies rig better brake pedal feedback by adding some stainless lines.

...looking forward to seeing what others have done too.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

My jeep is stock and the rear brakes have had many issues, caliper sticking and e brake sticking. I don't even off road, it is just cheap mild steel parts that rust away. Very sad for the cost we pay for these machines.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me to the list. I have had 2 calipers start sticking. 1 front and 1 rear. When I replaced them the jeep had 30,000 and 50,000 miles....
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brakes feel like they are warped with some pulsating (not the pedal mind you) with 42k miles. My dad's 2007 JKU Rubi has the original stock brakes and pads with 115,000 miles and counting. Yes... that's not a typo. I drove it and it works just fine. Father said that it should need replacement in a year or less.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've never used them but quadratec has some teraflex big brakes for $664.99... I'm considering these as a future upgrade myself...
Old 10-11-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a rear caliper stick at 15,000 miles (and three sets of pads and two rotors). I wheel it a lot, so I figure you pay to play.

Quick Reply: POS Jeep brakes! JUNK!