Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Popping sound when coming to or leaving a stop.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad shock bushing (done that) or a coil shifting when your jeep rises and falls. Done that one too btw...
Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CTNEDGE
Sounds like a bad shock bushing (done that) or a coil shifting when your jeep rises and falls. Done that one too btw...
If it's the coil issue how would I address that? Shock bushings look ok.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I have figured out that is when the suspension loads and unloads.

That is as I come to a stop and the Jeeps nose dips forward I hear, popping or creaking then again as I take off and the Jeep lurches back and the nose comes up.

I am totally at a loss here guys. Anyone have any ideas????
did you figure it out??? mine, 2010 4dr. does the same thing now. started at around 100K miles. Been chasing the noise for 8K miles. all new Ujoints and Ball joints. noise keeps getting louder.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same issue. Only occurred when accelerating from a dead stop. Thought it may be my driveshaft as my DS smashed my skid when my front jack failed when installing my lift. After three trips to the dealer who couldn't replicate the issue I determined it was a slightly under torqued rear upper control arm making the noise
Old 11-14-2016, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default My fix

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I am getting a popping sound right before coming to a stop or taking off from a stop. It's coming from front driver side I think.

Nothing at speed at over bumps.

Checked the suspension nothing seems wrong to the eye and all bolts seem to be to spec.

Any ideas?
I had the same exact problem with my Jeep after I installed a Teraflex 2 & a half inch coil lift with Rancho adjustable shocks. Popping noise on acceleration when the rear end would sag. thered be a loud pop noise but it didn't do it over bumps so inkling was that the control arm bolts are loose. I decided to be sure that I would retorque every bolt i touched during the coil lift installation. Re tightedened control arms sway bars shocks sway bar links... retorqued them all. Control arm rear left at the axel was a little loose. Not sloppy loose, but I cranked on the ratchet a couple times before it got real tight.

Sounds all went away. Very quiet over bumps and starting stopping no issues, quiet as a mouse.

I specifically created an account to post my experience with this issue. It's the cheapest option to try before new cv or driveshafts and all these other things I read abut when I googled "jk making popping sound when accelerating"

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2019, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Reviving a dead thread... but, mine has been doing this for about a month. Just tightened my rear driver's side control arm bolt and the popping and creaking completely went away.

Quick Reply: Popping sound when coming to or leaving a stop.