Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Popping sound when coming to or leaving a stop.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm...I've had a clunking/grinding/vibrating sound for a while now mostly when I accelerate from a dead stop (I have a thread on it somewhere here on JKF). It only makes the sound at initial acceleration but goes away after like a half a second. To me, it sounds like the front passenger side. I've heard it maybe once or twice coming to a stop as well.

I had my dealer look for the noise, but as expected, when I brought it in after a 40 minute ride, the sound could not be reproduced. However, I've had the sound both when the Jeep is cold and when its been run for a while.

They supposedly checked everything (joints, bushings, heat shield, etc..) and couldn't find anything.

I might try and find some time to check my control arms myself as those are the only things I didn't check myself. Just need it to warm up a bit!!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to go over all of these points once its atleast above 10 deg's haha... I've had a similar sound from the rear end too, but the front is fairly consistent. Only other thing I can think of is that I've been dealing with the damn steering wheel clunk for almlost a year now. Greased the lower shaft and all like its been written about on here and its still just getting worse. I'm thinking it may be the steering box now. Since I'm coming up on 30k soon I'm going to have my dealer finally take care of that, the auto tranny and brake line TSB along with changing the tranny and tcase fluids. So much to do, and no warm place to do it in. I need a garage!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi

I don't think it's my control arms. I'm running Teraflex with a Johnny Joint on one side and rubber bushing on the other.

The jam nut is super tight and the arms were not loose when I torqued them.

Shocks in the front are tight, bushings okay and no leaks.

Yesterday I had a dead battery and the tow truck guy had to push my jeep out of the garage in Neutral and cranked the steering wheel to move it with no power steering, so I'm wondering if he broke something in the steering box or something?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
I'm going to go over all of these points once its atleast above 10 deg's haha... I've had a similar sound from the rear end too, but the front is fairly consistent. Only other thing I can think of is that I've been dealing with the damn steering wheel clunk for almlost a year now. Greased the lower shaft and all like its been written about on here and its still just getting worse. I'm thinking it may be the steering box now. Since I'm coming up on 30k soon I'm going to have my dealer finally take care of that, the auto tranny and brake line TSB along with changing the tranny and tcase fluids. So much to do, and no warm place to do it in. I need a garage!
I had the dealer address my steering clunk when they were checking for that noise. Replaced the intermidate steering shaft and its been awesome ever since. In fact, my steering has never been this good!

I have a garage but the temp difference is only about 10 degerees different from the outside right now. Looking into insulating it and installing one of those large blower heaters!

Its going to warm up a bit tomorrow so hopefully I can climb underneath and check all my bolts again.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi

BUMP for help with the video.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi

Bump one last time for help with video.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Was at the the dealership yesterday for the brake line fender trim and finally get the flash for the hot tranny alarm.
Had them check all my control arms and suspension components. Said everything was good and tight. Only suggestion they had was my driverside front axle u-joint may be wearing out a bit. Told me to bring it back in in the Spring before I go out wheeling for the first time and they'd check it out again and see if it needs replacing but not to worry for now unless something sounds like it gets significantly worse. Most of the service guys there wheel so I trust their judgment. Guess I'll just wait for the thaw and see what happens.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
Was at the the dealership yesterday for the brake line fender trim and finally get the flash for the hot tranny alarm.
Had them check all my control arms and suspension components. Said everything was good and tight. Only suggestion they had was my driverside front axle u-joint may be wearing out a bit. Told me to bring it back in in the Spring before I go out wheeling for the first time and they'd check it out again and see if it needs replacing but not to worry for now unless something sounds like it gets significantly worse. Most of the service guys there wheel so I trust their judgment. Guess I'll just wait for the thaw and see what happens.
I checked my u joints by jacking the front of the Jeep up. Saw no play at all an the caps looked fine. I will post a video after work.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

I've seen and heard what a popped cap sounds like and its definitely not that loud or obvious on my JK. I may be wrong, but I'd have to guess the constant below freezing temps in my area may have something to do with it. Guess it may just be another one of those Jeep quirks too.. who knows.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Check the sway bar links. My driver was loose, I could shake the whole thing with my hand

Clunk mystery solved!

Last edited by JK.nick; 02-12-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Popping sound when coming to or leaving a stop.