Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Pop on acceleration.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
make sure the rear upper track bar bolt isn't hitting the spring
Thanks. I checked that today. Yellow electrical tape all over my coil. No contact.
I also disco'd my rear sway bar, pulled my track bar off again. I cleaned it, lubed it, and finally pulled out my bolt upgrade kit from Northridge 4x4 and slapped that in there. The mounting hole for the track bar wasn't wallowed out or anything, but you could see where threading had been getting stripped by the old bolt.
Guess what..... No; none of that fixed the elusive popping. Next up is checking upper shock mounts and possibly even something binding with the rotor in my e-brake shoe assembly?
Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I occasionally get the same popping sound from the rear. I am convinced it has to do with the parking brake. Everything on my suspension is torqued perfectly. What I do notice is my parking brake will easily pull up with no resistance, other times I can barely click it 2-3 times up. It's like it binds up then releases. Wondering if it's all related?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chapman89
I occasionally get the same popping sound from the rear. I am convinced it has to do with the parking brake. Everything on my suspension is torqued perfectly. What I do notice is my parking brake will easily pull up with no resistance, other times I can barely click it 2-3 times up. It's like it binds up then releases. Wondering if it's all related?
I'm pretty sure it's your parking brake, bud. I just loosened the star adjuster completely on my driver side parking brake, because that's the side it sounded like the pop was coming from.
Pop hasn't happened since I did that. Pretty shitty fix. But a fix, nonetheless.
Old 07-24-2024, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Refreshing this in hopes of finding a solution. Same thing for me in my new to me 2013 JK 4 Door. 127k miles, all factory besides a leveling kit installed by previous owner. Single or Double pop when accelerating from a stop. Sounds almost like something that connects to the body or connects to something that connects to the body. Looking at the rear end area and shaking everything down, everything is tight. Anyone else had this and was it the parking brake?
Old 07-25-2024, 04:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackedOut_JK
Refreshing this in hopes of finding a solution. Same thing for me in my new to me 2013 JK 4 Door. 127k miles, all factory besides a leveling kit installed by previous owner. Single or Double pop when accelerating from a stop. Sounds almost like something that connects to the body or connects to something that connects to the body. Looking at the rear end area and shaking everything down, everything is tight. Anyone else had this and was it the parking brake?
Can you replicate this noise at will? Is it only when you take off from a stop in forward direction? If you then stop and put it in reverse, does it do it again (IE, every time you are changing momentum direction)? If so, check torque on all control arm bolts.
Old 07-25-2024, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Can you replicate this noise at will? Is it only when you take off from a stop in forward direction? If you then stop and put it in reverse, does it do it again (IE, every time you are changing momentum direction)? If so, check torque on all control arm bolts.
So I cannot replicate it at will, but it only does it when accelerating from a stop. I cannot always replicate it by reversing, stopping, then proceeding forward. Sometimes it is a single pop, sometimes it does it twice, nearly simultaneously. Will do it when accelerating from a stop straight ahead or turning, no rhyme or reason why. My biggest fear is it is something internal in the axle, but it sounds like its something connecting to the body in that it sounds deadened by the body.

It has what appears to be factory shocks in the front/rear. Some front end work (although this problem is narrowed down to the rear) appears to have been done. The ball joints have blue boots which suggests replacement Moog’s. I do plan to do new shocks all the way around. I’m open to suggestions for good shocks. I don’t plan to do anything even moderate off-road aside from driving through a drainage ditch crossing for hunting or doing mild trails. I’m also looking for something to help with the “wandering” in the steering wheel. It rides fine and straight but the steering wheel has dead space in the center when cruising causing some bump steer.
Old 07-28-2024, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

I am going in a different direction here - It sounds like the engine is going lean for a little time then somehow catching up. Could be fuel supply. Try loosening the fuel cap (you will get the code) and see if the tank is not venting properly. Next question - when doing this is the ambient air cold or hot? Let me know because if this is the case then the tank venting system has an issue.
Old 08-21-2024, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TN_Vol_Jeeper
Anybody else have this issue, or have any idea what my issue might be. When I come to a complete stop and begin to accelerate I have a loud metallic pop coming from the rear driver side of my Jeep. If I take off very slow it doesn't do it, but the second I hit the accelerator a little harder from that idling crawl, it will pop. There are no vibrations, squeaks, rattles or pops coming from there at any other time. Just when I hit the gas from a stop. I have tightened every bolt back there to spec(track bar, sway bar, control arms, shocks), to no avail. Anybody have any ideas?

just wondering did you ever figure out what was wrong? Mine is doing the same thing pretty much. Not all the time,just when I come to a quick stop and take off also when I’m on a hill. Sometimes when I take off and get to 2 rpm it makes like a popping noise. Feels like it kinda jerks back a little.

Quick Reply: Pop on acceleration.