Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: What do you use to remove lug nuts?
Stock lug wrench
4.62%
Aftermarket lug wrench
50.77%
Torque wrench
12.31%
Air tools
12.31%
Impact tools
20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Lug nut removal tools

Old 06-01-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
With this

Powerbuilt Digital Torque Adaptor for 1/2-Inch Drive Breaker Bar

cost 50 bucks
It will fit in the jack storage compartment

I'll be looking into that!
Old 06-02-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
No matter how it's personally justified, it remains bad practice.
No argument here.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never bothered with factory lug wrenches. In fact I just threw three or four in the recycling dumpster.

1/2" breaker bar and make sure I have a deep well socket of the correct size for the lugs on that vehicle. If backspacing/fender/tire/etc require it I also will have an extension to keep things clear.
That said I have a 60gal air compressor in my garage so I usually use that and my impact to remove and install lug nuts.

Always use a torque wrench when putting your tires on. I usually zip the lug nuts on with the impact using a quick blip of the trigger. After all lug nuts are on that wheel I do the star pattern with my torque wrench and then one final circle.

Also, if anyone wants a cheap but decent lug nut NAPA sells a variety including a line of hardened steel nuts with chrome plating. They're not the cheap pot metal junk with the chrome outer skin that deforms and comes off. Used them on quite a few of my trucks and they hold up well and haven't mushed at the corners.

"Armstrong" "good enough" "two grunts and a fart" "two hammers of the impact gun" etc tight are all good ways to warp a rotor or bearing, break a lug stud, or not have the lugs tight enough. Seen it all many times and while some people may get away with it for decades it's recommended by no professional mechanic. Buddy just got a set of tires put on his Subaru and the tire monkeys at the shop evidently impacted the wheels on as "good enough". One tire was loose the next day and luckily he was paying attention enough to notice the wobble before the tire/wheel came off or anything broke or was damaged. Tightened them back up and we checked torque. Many were way off in both directions and a couple of the tight ones were FAR over the factory recommended torque.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a cheap 1/2" breaker bar which is far superior to the stock lug wrench. I never understood why lug nuts are "driven home"?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77

With this

Powerbuilt Digital Torque Adaptor for 1/2-Inch Drive Breaker Bar

cost 50 bucks
It will fit in the jack storage compartment

This is awesome, thanks for posting up!

Quick Reply: Poll: Lug nut removal tools