Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: What do you use to remove lug nuts?
Stock lug wrench
4.62%
Aftermarket lug wrench
50.77%
Torque wrench
12.31%
Air tools
12.31%
Impact tools
20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Lug nut removal tools

Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
I also use a breaker bar and a deep well socket. I plan on re-torquing all lugs to 95-100 ft lbs. The tire store where I had the tires rotated insisted they don't use a pneumatic torque wrench, but I had a terrible time loostening them after the service. Ronjenx and I had a good discussion on lubing or not lubing the threads. Seems like lubing changes the torque spec.
That's correct. The torque value and security of the lug nut depend on the threads and mating surfaces being clean and dry.

Periodic tire rotation, and proper torque, will ensure the lug nuts are not corroded on, or otherwise difficult to remove.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I break the lugs loose with a big ratchet, then an air tool to zip them off.

To put them back on, air tool to get them part of the way down, then use a torque wrench to properly get them the rest of the way down.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:58 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock wrench gets it done for me. A pneumatic impact gun would be handy but I'm cheap.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

At Garages they have different color extensions for the impact gun that twist some what at a certain psi or torque setting you can pick them up cheep at harbor freight but remember their compressor is set to 165psi to start with and may have more CFMs witch is everything with impact guns
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I use different tools depending on where I am..

I use the OE bar in an emergency..

I have a folding T-Bar purchased years ago from Griot's Garage on which I use the protective sockets since my wheels are black.

Kind of like this but a little nicer.

... and the protective sockets..

Same socket goes on the impact wrench when I am home.

But I also have a set of torque sticks that work awesome on the impact wrench
Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Standard ratchet/socket for removal.
Hand tighten if removed.
Torque to spec.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
I've been changing tires with one of those for about 50 years.
I own at least three of them.
I have never used a torque wrench.
For the last 40 years I've been putting high temp high pressure lube (the shiny silver stuff) on all lug bolts.
Never lost a wheel or even had a nut come loose. Also never had a lug nut frozen from rust - my JK is the first vehicle I've ever rotated tires.
My weight has climbed from 125 lbs when I changed my first tire to 185 lbs now.
I use my weight and wimpy strength to tighten lug nuts as tight as I can with the cross wrench.

An interesting side story:
I broke two lug bolts off my wife's 07 Town & Country the first time I had to change a tire. That was REMOVING the tire. Had my mech replace all the studs. Obviously a bad batch of studs from the factory.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BLK08JK
So last week I changed out the rear brake pads on my jeep... not realizing I would spend half my time just removing the wheels. The damn dealer always over torques them (in my opinion) and my 160lb-soaking-wet self can't always muscle them off.

The stock lug wrench is crap... I even tried a breaker bar on it for more force and I ended up almost twisting the metal.

I bought myself one of these:

But even with that I had to step hard on one end and pull the other... when the lug finally came loose I almost fell over from all the force I was using and even with gloves my hands were wrecked!

So what gives? What do you guys use? Air tools? Impact wrench? How many of you use a torque wrench each time?

Off to the gym now as these lug nuts made me feel like a little girl....
You can use a breaker bar a hollow metal bar that you stick on the handle end to extend it. The handle from a floor jack works well if you have a large floor jack.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Impact for disassembly.

Hand tools for reassembly.

If the lugs and/or studs can't handle an impact wrench on disassembly, there was a problem to begin with.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep Torque specs by Lug nut size:

Lug Size Ft/Lbs Torque

7/16" 55-65

1/2" 75-85

9/16" 95-115

5/8" 135-145

12mm 72-80

14mm 85-95

The JKU has 1/2" lugs. As such, the best tool is probably a long-arm ft/lb torque wrench. Strong enough to break them off; accurate in replacing them.

Quick Reply: Poll: Lug nut removal tools