Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Polishing the instrument cluster plastic cover

Old 08-03-2009, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing the instrument cluster plastic cover

Anyone tried to polish the instrument cluster cover? I used a dry rag the other day to remove some dust from it which resulted in minor scratches. Theses scratches are nearly invisble but can be seen in certain angles of light and are kind of annoying. What sort of plastic is this cover? Any suggestions for polish? I've heard that display polish for acryl plastic might work?

/John
Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

ouch.
plexus will work and turtle wax ice TOTAL INTERIOR also. meguiars plastix will remove the scratches.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A mild tooth paste is also a good choice.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Hmm, I scratched the clear plastic cover over the radio....drive me nuts.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know about the scratches, but as far as cleaning, I tried that new pledge all surface cleaner and a microfiber cloth and man its gets the dust, no scratching I can see. U might give that a shot next time.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the toothpaste but I've used it to get exterior black paint scuffs off my white tahoe just by rubbing it on with a damp rag...the cheap white paste works best not the gel. BTW get used to the plastic scratching it's about as soft as the soft windows
Old 08-04-2009, 03:12 AM
JK Super Freak

it's a jeep
Old 08-04-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have used many types of plastic polish and they all work. I have a Vette that was screwed up in the lens department when the previous owner used some toxic stuff on the lenses and clouded them. If you know vettes taking anything apart is a challenge and everything costs big bucks so I used the polish and they look great. The more time you spend, the better they can look. It can be messy and get all over and you should masking tape around so you don't end up polishing the surrounding plastic (experience, ie screw up) Yours should not be bad to do but as you learned be carefull what you use on them. Even microfiber can scratch if the dust is coarse enough like what we get with open Jeeps. The polish is great for fixing skipping CD's and my kids video games.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Try

PLEXUS.. used for motorcycle windscreens

Quick Reply: Polishing the instrument cluster plastic cover