Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Please help me figure out the piece I need for my soft top.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me figure out the piece I need for my soft top.

I bought a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited used with about 22,000 miles on it. I started realizing something was wrong when I would take it on the interstate and the soft top on the right side would pick up about an inch in hard crosswinds. I figured out that there this plastic piece which is missing on the right side of the soft top bar, so it can be locked down. I have tried for over a month to figure out what it is. The parts place can't figure it out, the jeep dealership couldn't figure it out, so I'm coming here to the people who really know and love jeeps. I've had them order the part at least 3 times and it's not the right piece. It seems to be a small rectangular plastic piece around 2-3 inches and has a circle jutting out so that a hinge can lock onto. I'll post some pictures after a while.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dont have a jku but a 2dr w/softtop and from the sounds of it its like you dont have the window rails locked in, if they were the top will not lift even with missing parts. maybe try taking the top down and back up to reset everything. hope that helps its hard to tell whats going without pics.

good luck
Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I'm struggling to understand your terminology. If you mean that the softop is lifting out of the door frame along the right side, that's a common mistake from improperly installing the softtop. Go to this thread and study the pictures that Happy Curmudgeon has uploaded (don't worry about the missing ones) ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Soft-Top-Rear-Window-to-Door-frame-surround-area-installation.-_lots-of-pictures.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Another option might be these parts for the tub rail by the tailgate that are available from Quadratec ...

Quadratec Listing:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11033_403.htm

Note: The pic's above were shot while installing a Bestop Duster (tonneau cover for the rear tub area). But, the same hardware is used for the softtop installation.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry I couldn't get more in-depth earlier, I was at work. Here are some photos I took of the piece on the left side of the soft top. I'm missing this piece from the pictures on the right side. Thanks.

Last edited by mrparkerdg; 04-15-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mrparkerdg
Sorry I couldn't get more in-depth earlier, I was at work. Here are some photos I took of the piece on the left side of the soft top. I'm missing the piece from the pictures on the right side. Thanks.

no pics
Old 04-15-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mrparkerdg
Sorry I couldn't get more in-depth earlier, I was at work. Here are some photos I took of the piece on the left side of the soft top. I'm missing this piece from the pictures on the right side. Thanks.
That is the part which a clip like lever snaps into to set the top over the sound bar. They come complete on the side rail. Just order a new rail. Make sure you have the catch on the door surround. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

I don't understand why I would have to buy the entire rail when it's just a piece that goes on with 2 screws.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

The whole rail is part of that one piece...dont know why..just because

Quick Reply: Please help me figure out the piece I need for my soft top.