Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Please Check your Filler Door

Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Check your Filler Door

Just a quick question for you all. If you have the filler door (OEM or installed by yourself) is it flush/tight to body of the jeep? Got my new jeep last week and filled er up on the weekend and it seemed loosey goosey and not flush to the body of the jeep. Nothing gross, but I thought this should be immovable.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 AM
JfK
JK Enthusiast

Is this the Mopar door? I seem to recall a lot of people complaining about this
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mopar Door here. looks to be a little less than 1/4" gap off teh paint in the back. Mine is tight and does not wiggle in the bucket.

If yours is loose, there are 4 screws around teh trim ring that could be loose. the bucket snaps into place with plastic clips is all.

hope that helps some.

fwiw, I ttired 3 other fuel doors and the Drake fuel cap...ended up with this for better quality. used a locking plastic cap inside. teh drake one kept giving me a dtc on my 2012, so had to remove it.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by richelsd
Just a quick question for you all. If you have the filler door (OEM or installed by yourself) is it flush/tight to body of the jeep? Got my new jeep last week and filled er up on the weekend and it seemed loosey goosey and not flush to the body of the jeep. Nothing gross, but I thought this should be immovable.

Thanks.
ya I installed mine myself and have the same problem. a little loose. I couldn't get them any tighter. I was a the dealer and I looked a jeep that had them on there (factory put them on) and they were completely tight.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:19 PM
kik
JK Freak

I have the Mopar door that I had installed by the dealer. No problems at all. Tight and even all around after 2yrs. of use.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by runnerprairie
ya I installed mine myself and have the same problem. a little loose. I couldn't get them any tighter. I was a the dealer and I looked a jeep that had them on there (factory put them on) and they were completely tight.
it has just enough play in it to piss me off.

i wonder if there is supposed to be some sort of liner or gasket on the back side of the lip?

i need to find one that is put on stock or if someone can look at theirs and let us know.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sub'd... bought mine used with some sort of filler door already installed....don't know the brand (all black with magnets to hold the door shut) I too have some slop and wiggle on the ring and it bugs me but I haven't bothered with it as of yet, interested to see where this goes...it may save me from breaking something while I "learn as I go"
Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very timely thread. I just finished installing the Mopar one five minutes ago and notices that there a small gap between the body and the door and it has a little play in it - like others have said, nothing major or likely to be noticed by others but just enough to annoy me. Oh well - I'll just have to get over it.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Here are some pics ofmy factory installed one on my Mojave. No play at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120201_205633.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	273178

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120201_205647.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	273179
Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAIL RATED
Mopar Door here. looks to be a little less than 1/4" gap off teh paint in the back. Mine is tight and does not wiggle in the bucket.

If yours is loose, there are 4 screws around teh trim ring that could be loose. the bucket snaps into place with plastic clips is all.

hope that helps some.

fwiw, I ttired 3 other fuel doors and the Drake fuel cap...ended up with this for better quality. used a locking plastic cap inside. teh drake one kept giving me a dtc on my 2012, so had to remove it.
Would I have to undo the 6 allen key type bolts that you can see on the filler door when you open it to see these 4 screws you talk about?

Quick Reply: Please Check your Filler Door