Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Play in sector shaft! How long do i have

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in sector shaft! How long do i have

My 4x4 shop says my sector shaft has play in it and I was wondering how long it would last before it breaks or will it even break?
What are the cons of driving with it like that?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

How much play? Lots of them have a little bit.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

I guess that's a question I should have asked the 4x4 shop. All he said was"the sector shaft has some play" and I think he even said that it caused my moog tierod ends to go bad on my Rockkrawler drag link. And suggested a PSC hydraulic assist kit. Hmmm, wonder if he was just trying to sell me the PSC kit and the install.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

What happens or what could happen if it has too much play?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

If excessive, it would make the steering loose, possibly contributing to wobble.

You would notice some free-play in the steering; maybe even a clunk when going from side to side with the steering wheel.

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth a little while you get under the steering box and look.
See if the shaft moves sideways and try to measure it.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If excessive, it would make the steering loose, possibly contributing to wobble.

You would notice some free-play in the steering; maybe even a clunk when going from side to side with the steering wheel.

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth a little while you get under the steering box and look.
See if the shaft moves sideways and try to measure it.
No clunking or loose steering but I will have to check as you suggested. Thanx for the help.
My steering was loose but that was from the castle nuts being loose on my Rockkrawler tie rods and when I tightened them down it went away and the JK drove great.
I'm gonna have my wife turn the wheel back and forth whilst I check for movement on the sector shaft.

What am I looking for when I do this?
If she's turning the steering wheel slowly left and right am I looking for kinda a delayed reaction in the wheels or will I actually see play play in the shaft itself?

Sorry for the 20 questions but I just don't wanna spend money on something I dont have to. Need the or-fab tire carrier badly!
Running with no spare finally caught up with me a few months ago when a truck ran into my tire a gave it a gash and had to get my spare from my garage which cost me a couple of hours time wise and was just stupid.

Thanx again though, I will post up what I find if anything.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Have her move the wheel back and forth enough to make the wheels start to turn each way.

You will be looking at the bottom of the steering box, where the sector shaft come out.
As the pitman arm tries to move the drag link back and forth, the sector shaft will move from side to side if there is any play. Most have some play. Try to measure what you have with yours.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Have her move the wheel back and forth enough to make the wheels start to turn each way.

You will be looking at the bottom of the steering box, where the sector shaft come out.
As the pitman arm tries to move the drag link back and forth, the sector shaft will move from side to side if there is any play. Most have some play. Try to measure what you have with yours.
Ah ok. Thanx again.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by JKlad; 01-19-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roguejk
Ah ok. Thanx again.
Could you let us know what you find? I'm yet to try this test but I do have the notorious steering clunk that I want to have sorted properly while I still have warranty; no use them replacing the intermediate shaft if the problem is in the box.

Quick Reply: Play in sector shaft! How long do i have