Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

plastic bumpers -gripe-

Old 04-29-2007, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i may try the heat. the plastic creased and turned white at the creases. I'll see if it works out.

my biggest problem isnt convincing the wife... its the funding. while i cant call it jealousy or anything, maybe some envy.... but i just dont have the money some of you guys have. To see some of the JKs already built on here is pretty cool... some of the ideas I've had on my mind, alot have already been doing cause they got the money to spend.

i keep thinking about hacking the bumper, but .... i'm hoping leaving that plastic out there will keep me from ripping one of the flares off of it.

This is a whole new way to wheel for me. I started with an old CJ5 that had a big steel bumper.... my ZJ has an ARB. So, for the last 7 years I have had this habit of pulling forward till the Jeep stops or a hear "PANG" when the bumper hits.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skibum
BTW, if you come up with a good way of getting your wife to let you buy new bumpers, let me know................working on the same thing with my wife.
Go and buy it anyway and when it turns up tell her you won it in a competition!!

I can't tell you how many competitions I've won!!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

.n.........
Old 04-30-2007, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default Plastic Bumper removal

Anyone know how to take off the front bumper (plastic part) on the 4 door. I see the four bolts, two on either side but after that what?

Thanks
Jonathan
Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did it this weekend to install my Mopar Bumper.

- Take off the Grill
- Remove the Plastic piece on the top rails behind the bumper (good luck getting the plastic screws out)
- Remove the plastic screws from the bottom of the front bumper
- Remove the plastic grommets holding the foglights on to the bumper if you have them
- Unhook foglight connectors
- Remove 8 nuts that hold the bumper on and remove the backer plates with them
- Slide off bumper....
Old 06-08-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwseely
Anyone know how to take off the front bumper (plastic part) on the 4 door. I see the four bolts, two on either side but after that what?

Thanks
Jonathan
Took mine off this weekend
4 bolts toward the outside of the bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3491215158.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	466036

Name:	image-1443244659.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	466037
Old 06-08-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy hell, quite the find there, thread from 2007!

Name:	image-3306952574.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	466043
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That just means the guy used the search button. People bitch when they don't, and now when they do.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Same dimple in my 2013 JKU front bumper last Christmas. Someone hit me in a parking lot and left. I drilled a hole large enough for a round pry bar in the reverse side of the bumper directly behind the dimple. Heated the dimple with a hair dryer until it was very warm to the touch, then used the pry bar to push the dimple out. Continued to heat and work on the dimple until it was as smooth as I could get it. Very slight color difference from where the plastic was "stressed", but looks better than the big dimple.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

I see them as battle scars. Yes they're cheap bumpers, but that's the whole reason for modding. Cuz that's part of being a jeeper. Rock the scarred bumper for awhile, save money and get that bad@$$ bumper you've been eye balling forever. I have to start all over since I traded my 07 that had some mods I wanted. But I got the rubi I wanted with the new, to the wrangler, 3.6L.

PS I like repeat posts; new stories/tips and tricks. More to learn what not to do, and what to do kind of thing.

Quick Reply: plastic bumpers -gripe-