Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Planning on getting a Soft Top, I need some answers, please.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning on getting a Soft Top, I need some answers, please.

My JKU has the freedom top, I am considering buying a soft top too. I saw the installation brochure, there seems to be some drilling to be done and it seems some parts need to be attached permanently.

If I put the soft top on, how easy is it to remove and go to the hard top? can the tops be swapped within a reasonable amount of time (say an hour)?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

I don't think there is any drilling required to install the soft top. I bought my rig with both tops, but I think the holes are all there from the factory. When I took off my soft top for the winter, I left one small piece connected to the jeep on each side (drivers and passenger side). This piece does not get in the way when the soft top is off. You can also purchase two quick connect adaptors for the soft top. No screwdriver required to remove the top completely.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2dr that came with a hard top. I bought a soft top on ebay and installing it was a breeze. Nothing is permanent and no drilling was required. Mine was missing hardware and that was my only challenge. All you attach are door surrounds with two knobs each, soft top brackets to the roll cage (pre drilled just unzip the fabric) these attach with two screws each into pre drilled and threaded holes, and two plastic clips for the tail gate bar. The soft top attaches only with two screws to the previously mentioned brackets. All can be removed when you throw your hard top back on. I recommend taking the brackets off when you put the hard top on. You CAN leave then on without fitment issues but are a safety hazard for back seat passengers if you got in an accident. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 04-14-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually you can install the soft top, put it down and put the hard top back on. You don't have to take the soft top off.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wannabewheeler
Actually you can install the soft top, put it down and put the hard top back on. You don't have to take the soft top off.
This works great if for some reason you feel a need to damage your soft top.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

My 2011 Unlimited came with the Freedom top package, both hard and soft tops. I'm not sure I'll ever use the soft top. Is there any demand for an unused factory soft top, all parts still in the factory boxes. I called several local dealers and they wanted approximately $1475, not including taxes, for a full factory soft top package. One dealer had a new soft top they removed from a new Jeep for someone who wanted a hardtop and they wanted $1100 for it. What would be a fair price for mine?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mfrank84
My 2011 Unlimited came with the Freedom top package, both hard and soft tops. I'm not sure I'll ever use the soft top. Is there any demand for an unused factory soft top, all parts still in the factory boxes. I called several local dealers and they wanted approximately $1475, not including taxes, for a full factory soft top package. One dealer had a new soft top they removed from a new Jeep for someone who wanted a hardtop and they wanted $1100 for it. What would be a fair price for mine?
I bought mine brand new on ebay factory mopar sunrider for $500 for my 2dr. Just saying.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing nobody has mentioned is the fact that the assembly/installation instructions SUCK! There is nothing in them for how to properly use it once it's installed. Fortunately YouTube has some good videos.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the answers! it is clear now. I think I will get a soft top (OEM)
Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mfrank84
I sent you a PM, please check your inbox

Quick Reply: Planning on getting a Soft Top, I need some answers, please.