Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

piecing together a hard top

Old 04-08-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default piecing together a hard top

Hey guys, I got a used JKU hard top for $150. It doesn't have any windows/freedom panels/hardware. It was a quick craigslist deal that I took a gamble on. I knew glass would be expensive, the hardware not so much, and the freedom panels not that bad.
Well...
From the dealer:
Freedom panels=$467X2
Mounting hardware=$55 quadratec
rear side windows=262x2
rear liftgate window=262
liftgate hardware= ~$220

Does not include the cost window installation.
Also, the hardtop has a small puncture at bottom which is easily repairable.

So do I cut my losses or continue on? I can't find any freedom panels and thats the real killer. I cant justify doing the glass and everything if I cant find cheap freedom panels. There hasn't been a hard top that has popped up in a long time around my area and I don't want to fork out for a new one.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://hxx p://www.ksl.com/index.php...arch=jeep%20jk

Yes it may be a ways for you, but might be worth it. He just wants it out of his yard, I bet he also has the freedom panels. hope this helped!

Last edited by mkjeep; 04-08-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks, ill contact him for the panels.

I'm going to call for a glass quote and if it's too much ill just find some way to use/sell it.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think he would be willing to ship it, I call him for more pictures and he said he was to lazy. just wants someone to come pick it up, you'll probably need to pick it up, but you can try it!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glass shops can do better on the price than the dealer. It is a very competitive business. Call around to several and tell them you are paying cash (rather than insurance) and that you are calling around. Have you considered making filler panels on the side. Could be like a modern day sedan delivery. You could put cool graphics there or just color match it.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by onebadrc
Have you considered making filler panels on the side. Could be like a modern day sedan delivery. You could put cool graphics there or just color match it.
Thatd be very cool!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought about looking at alternative options for the side windows. I was going to do rotopax until I saw it would cost me $800. Hopefully the glass shop can give me a good deal hopefully military discount or something.
Rear hardware is pretty expensive though, over $200 for the shock assembly and the two hinges.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

My dad told me to use SMC and just fill in the side windows and make it flush. I'd like that look because I personally have no use for the side windows. Also, my dad said to find a way to make a soft top for where the freedom panels go. I'll have them off except for heavy rain..but then that is the problem with having soft top/hard top.

That or if anyone has any ideas for a hardtop ill be the guinea pig

Last edited by Ezekiel97; 04-08-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ezekiel97
My dad told me to use SMC and just fill in the side windows and make it flush. I'd like that look because I personally have no use for the side windows. Also, my dad said to find a way to make a soft top for where the freedom panels go. I'll have them off except for heavy rain..but then that is the problem with having soft top/hard top.

That or if anyone has any ideas for a hardtop ill be the guinea pig
That SMC idea is great. I went trough the dilemma of picking up a top same as that and then piecing it together. There was a freedom panels on Ebay for $300 a couple weeks ago.

Rear window would be my issue, same as the freedom panels.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah the guy had it on craigslist and i found it within 15 minutes of posting. When I got there there was someone else waiting in case I didn't snag it. I didnt have time to look up everything to see cost. I think that rear window delete would be a unique mod for my jeep. I have about a billion emails/pms/pleas/ trades for my firstborn out but no snags so far. I have a guy on here trying to sell a damaged hard top for $300 so im going to see if he has the panels for it and that would be my saving grace

Quick Reply: piecing together a hard top