Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

piece o' crap scissor jack

Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piece o' crap scissor jack

Tonight I found out the hard way what a piece of junk my jack is. I was not thrilled when I first saw it was a scissor jack but that's what I've had for years so whatever. Tonight, I had to change a tire & when fully extended the stupid jack wouldn't even touch the underside of my Jeep let alone lift it! Thankfully I was at work & we were able to put boards under the jack to make it high enough but what if I had been out on the highway? Needless to say, not too pleased. If I'm gonna have to buy a jack just tell me. Don't let me drive around thinking I have one! Hope this saves someone else some grief...
Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Junkie

Do you have a lift? Larger tires?

The stock jack should work just fine. I assume you were attempting to jack from the axle and not the frame, right?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

no lift, stock tires & yep I was attempting to jack from the axel. It just barely reached & had nowhere to go from there.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chelles Bells
no lift, stock tires & yep I was attempting to jack from the axel. It just barely reached & had nowhere to go from there.
That sucks dude.

The stock jack is a piece of junk, but it should at least function. I'd take that thing back to the dealer and demand they give you one actually for your Jeep. It sounds like the factory goofed up or something
Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, they'll be hearing about it. If it's gonna happen it'll happen to me lol. Won't ever take away from my enjoyment of my Jeep & if it's the worst complaint I ever have I'll consider myself lucky. Very thankful I was in a safe place & got the tire changed. Coulda been worse.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

Could you take a picture of your jack or measure it somehow if it is sitting out? Might help somebody find out at a glance if they are going to be screwed on the side of the road when they need it.

That must be the wrong jack though, because mine works with the Rubi tires and easily gets the tire 3" or so off the ground. Not that it seems or looks comfortable at that point - but it will do it.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 2nd thread

This is the second thread I've read on folks not being able to use their jack...both claiming to try to lift from the points designated in the user's manual! I've got 35s and a lift with no issues, so I'm thinking that somewhere at the manufacturer really screwed the pooch on something or user error.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, maybe its time to measure. maybe they mixed up some JK jacks with Neon jacks....

FWIW.... I always use my scissor jack for my rotations, no problems, I actually like it and it is much easier than bringing the heavy hydraulic one from the basement...Mine is a 09 Rubicon Unlimited
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer the scissor over a cheap hydraulic jack. Less to go wrong.

The only option in your case is that you have the wrong jack. You'd be more than fine with the right size. I'm very curious on the size of yours?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

add me to the list of those who think you were given the wrong jack.

I took delivery and didn't notice that the jack was missing for a few days. (The dealer gave me one immediately when I pointed it out.)

maybe when they prepped your rig someone noticed there was no jack and put in the first one they found laying around

Quick Reply: piece o' crap scissor jack