Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

pics of black hinges on vehicle other than black

Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=kh202;3055479]You'll have to dig a torx bit thru the paint to get a solid hold on the bolt... Then just a little tug and they came right off mine... Only reason I took mine off is because it's very difficult to get a solid coat on the backside of the round part without the overspray causing a run elsewhere. And with the orange, thin spots show right thru..[/QU

Thanks , are you re-using the bolts as well or buying new ones. Seems that they will scratch when re-installing unless you just touch them up .
Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by magicman13
that's a great question? I'd like to know, before I try to remove my hinges. If they do, I could see where my luck would go.
Let's put it this way, you're going to use plastidip, definitely keep the hinges ON. Tape a square leaving about an inch or so of space around the hinge and just spray and peel the excess off. Since I was using permanent bedliner and am not the neatest with rattle cans, I wanted To play it safe and take the hinges off.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No i reused the bolts. I did my best to get most of the factory paint off. Then I put them in the hinges when I sprayed them so the bedliner wouldn't build up in the holes. After each coat, I carefully flipped the hinges over so the bolts would slide out before the liner dried. Not sure you have to do this step but I did to be safe. I dipped the bolts in mineral spirits and used an old toothbrush to get the wet bedliner out of the torx head after each coat as well (did bout 4 light coats).

Then, I drilled holes in a cardboard box and stuck the bolts in there so I could spray all at once. I used flat black duplicolor Engine enamel for the bolts so I could get the torx but in easier to reinstall. Yes some of it will chip, just touch up after installed.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Like this look, ive been wanting to do this for about a year now...

Quick Reply: pics of black hinges on vehicle other than black