Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

People with clutch noise - please read!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this squeeeak when the clutch is lightly pressed or when the engine is under torque? thanks for your trouble shooting posting~ J from MAUI
Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 AM
HEK
JK Freak

Thanks Doc D......LedZepp send me a link to your thread and that's exactly what I was asking...now I hope it takes care of my problem...Props to you for taking the time and I vote for this to become a Sticky...
Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brilliant!

Hey Doc D, thanks a heap for your explanation of the squeek problem and the detailed photo. Had my JK booked in this week for the "squeeking clutch" TSB & it would have been off the road for days. Just happened upon your thread, tried you solution (bending the heat shield a little) and it worked imediately; no more squeeks!

I printed off your photo & gave it to the service department, & they were amazed, as the Chrysler Corporation and all their resources couldn't come up with a solution but some guy on a forum could!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Get a piece of 5/16" flexible vinyl tubing. Cut to about 4" and then cut length-wise. Slide it around the clutch metal tube in the effected area. No more noise, and protects the line if it should move and rub.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I tried to fix it tonite and as I just find the cable my flashlight dies. I come out from under the hood and my elbow catches the supporting rod for the hood and knocks it down. BAM!!! I get hit in the back of the head with the hood.

So not only have I not been able to fix this... I got a nice headache. Haha I'll try it in the afternoon and see if my clutch squeak was the one your fix cures. Thanks for the write up
Old 09-05-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

o my god thank you i was going nuts. im trying to tomorrow thank you
Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default squeak

i have a squeak too.

but i think it is my spring that is on the clutch pedal assembly. bc when i push in the clutch, i can feel the slight vibration on the pedal of the spring compressing, that is when i hear it.

i sprayed some WD40 on the big spring under there and it stopped squeaking for about 3 days. then it started again. so i sprayed some silicone spray on it. that lasted 1 day.

when i checked it out yesterday, it looked like there was white lithium grease on it.

I could put more grease on it but that wont get in between the coils to stop the squeaking.

it has become very annoying. very. anyone know of a fix?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm... Just bought a 2008 (still under factory warranty) with 5k miles and just noticed the noise today. The difference is mine doesn't squeak (sounds like a belt noise) as soon as I even put a little pressure on the clutch. Just tried moving the hose and no luck. I can't stand listening to the noise as low as it is, I could just turn up the radio but I would still know its there. Might be off to the dealership to hear what they say. Unless someone else came up with another fix
Old 10-29-2010, 04:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I've got a fix for all annoying little noises on my jeep. Mud Grapplers. Once I put those on, I didn't hear any other noise from the clutch, suspension, radio, passengers, etc.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the info . I started to notice a noise on my '08 JK. It was only while accelerating and only with the initial depression of the clutch pedal. With that I would a quick squeak/chirp. It wouldn't happen when coasting down or downshifting. When sitting idling you can push the clutch pedal in and out with absolutely no noise. Also the noise sounded like it was coming from in front of the instrument cluster, not under the trans cowl.
I looked under my hood and low and behold the lower inside corner of the heat shield on the firewall was just contacting the hydraulic clutch line. it took longer to grab a long screwdriver than it did to just bend it slightly away from the line. Could see how it there was any movement or vibration there it would create a squeak.

Thanks again for the info to you

Quick Reply: People with clutch noise - please read!