Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

People with clutch noise - please read!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU!! This completely, 100% got rid of the squeak on my X. I cannot tell you how happy I am to have that noise gone. It was driving me insane! Prior to reading this thread, I would have bet money that it was an engine or trans mount, because of the way it only happened when there was a change in drivetrain torque. My heat shield was contacting the line like a knife edge. It was running lengthwise underneath it, and kind of cutting at the bottom of the line. I bent the shield outward and the noise is gone. I actually heard the noise when bending the shield, so I knew it was going to be fixed, even before driving it.

Thanks again!

Dave
Old 06-22-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Here's a picture that highlights the area where the heat shield was scraping. This was taken after I bent the shield away from the line. View from the front of the Jeep.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch_line.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	10222  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgeboy
THANK YOU!! This completely, 100% got rid of the squeak on my X. ...
Dave
No problem Dave. I completely ripped my dash and gauges out trying to find this squeak. I was conviced it was in my dash. I hate how some noises can be hard to pin-point where they are coming from. So when I finally figured out what it was I wanted to make sure I documented it for others.

I've talked to more than a few people that had the same problem. I'm surprised chrylser hasn't caught this one and made a change on the assembly line.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:29 AM
JK Freak

Smile

just stumbled upon this thread, and dude, you're my hero.... Sure as shit, that was where my squeaking noise was coming from...now I won't have to go insane lol
Old 07-28-2008, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

i love this forum...god i hope this works...going to try it tonight...i have not had any tsb work done with regards to this problem b/c i didn't want to create any new problems from the dealer. also the two times i actually finally broke down to bring it in it wasn't doing it any more and there was actually a period of about 5,000 miles where it wasn't squeaking at all and i swore the jeep cured itself. so, this actually sounds plausible to me as to the real problem given that it comes and goes like that. also i've noticed that it is worse in the warm weather than in cold so maybe the cold weather causes the metal parts that are rubbing to contract and no longer rub. just a thought based on what i have experienced.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

I have had the squeak for several thousand miles now and just assumed it was the infamous clutch squeak. I haven't taken it in for this since I've been reading others posts about the problem returning. I have to say, I was skeptical about trying your fix but went ahead a bent the shield out a little away from the line.

NO MORE SQUEAK!!! Good find and write-up!

To others out there with the squeak, you should at least try this. It only takes 5 mins. of your time.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear the information is useful. I wonder if we could get this sticky'd or put into a FAQ or something.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Didn't work for me.... nothing works... need a solution!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Maybe it don't work for everyone. Have you followed the line as far as you can and made sure it's not against anything? I first pulled back the shield just a little and got immediate results but pulling it back all the way, making sure it didn't touch anything did the trick.
I have read about peeps on here having the clutch TSB done and still having the problem. I really think the OP's post is on to something since I got results.
Check out the line all the way down and make sure it's not rubbing on anything.

P.S. I just go t back from the optomitrist with contacts ant everything is fuzzy. Sorry if I mispelled anything. Try to read my thoughts.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

I did follow it all the way and did pull and tug to replicate the sound, I did have my Clutch replace 2 or 3 times and that didn't work, so I was really hopin... maybe I'll go recheck what I did...

Thx

Quick Reply: People with clutch noise - please read!