Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Pela Oil Extractor

Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pela Oil Extractor

I was coming up on 6K mi. on the last oil change and thought today was a good less that 90* day to try my new 6.5 qt. Pela oil pump. Got the filter off to let it drain and pulled the dipstick to insert the smallest diameter tube.

Goes down most of the way and hits a rigid stop. Turned it, pulled it up and turned some more while pushing it back down the dipstick tube and no luck going the last few inches into the oil. So I sliced a tiny piece off the end of the plastic tube to se if a taper would get past the bump or whatever it was that prevented it from reaching the bottom of the pan.

Finally gave up and crawled under the JK and dumped the oil into my plastic dishpan. Got out 5.5 qt. not including filter. I added a half quart at 5K mi. Not bad for 6K of mixed highway and city with 52K on the clock.

Sure wish I could use my nice shiney new oil extractor.

Last edited by Patchules; 08-19-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oil extractors are convenient, but a little oil is left in the bottom of the pan which somewhat defeats the purpose of your oil change....
Old 08-21-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to drain the oil manually anyways. You can spot signs of trouble much sooner, as the plug is magnetic and will pick up any metal shavings.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
oil extractors are convenient, but a little oil is left in the bottom of the pan which somewhat defeats the purpose of your oil change....
I have tested mine by pulling the plug after the oil extraction. Not a drop more came out.

Sometimes, I do pull the plug to check it.

Regarding the OP's issue, I have no idea why it works on mine, but not on his.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-21-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

The 2136B Cat on the boat I worked on in ME has a hand pump built onto the side of the engine. Arm got tired with so much oil but it is a CAT installed device for removing engine oil so I guess it can't be that bad.

I am going to try shaping the end of the Pela tube like the end of the dipstick which does not feel like it is hitting anything at the last 5 inches.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be behind the times, I still change my oil manually.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by MeatCurtains
Naw, not that. Now, if you check the dip stick every week or so, that's behind the times, (old school).
Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good for you.

I stopped crawling under my vehicles after having my back fused, left shoulder repaired and right shoulder still to be repaired.

Doing the oil in the F350 DD was a treat - so much oil. My E350's and F250 were not too bad. My wife's Cabrio was impossible as was her Chevy SS. My 31 Ford was easy. The 37 Old's Convertible not so easy.

In an attempt to cut the cost of oil changes I would like to use the Pela, two changes and it is paid for and I would not have to get under the JK.

Being able to walk makes me happy so I no longer need the thrill of manually changing the oil.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasnt being a dbag ive just never heard of a system like that, ive always crawled under my vehicle. A system like that on my jetta would have been great a fat man under a little car is never fun.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Wasnt being a dbag ive just never heard of a system like that, ive always crawled under my vehicle. A system like that on my jetta would have been great a fat man under a little car is never fun.
It is my '01 Golf that makes me appreciate the oil extractor the most, as I have a steel skid plate under the entire engine bay.

Quick Reply: Pela Oil Extractor