Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

PCV Valve Housing

Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Valve Housing

Ok gents.. I have an '09 3.8L 64K that has the famous oil disappearing trick. I bought the Jeep bone stock with 23K and have loved every moment so far. I've done many cosmetic mods, all done myself, and typically change the oil myself. Occasionally I take it to a local shop that offers free rotation with oil change and have them rotate my tires for me- since I have no way of doing it myself.

Recently, my oil consumption has gotten pretty bad. I've always gotten out less than I put in, obviously. But the last time I changed my oil I was maybe 4-5k, a little late, but when I checked my oil level prior to the change I was well below the "safe" zone. Alarmingly low, actually.

Anyway I changed my oil, got a new air filter, and also read up that a bad PCV valve can cause oil burnination. So I replaced that too. Well.. in my attempts to get the old one out I managed to break a piece of the housing the valve slips into off. Currently, I have everything in place. The piece that broke off is small enough that the hose fits over it entirely and with the clamp everything seems to be holding up securely. I check after every trip and so far there is no oil leaking from around the area.

I have planned to epoxy this piece back together when I have some time. So for all you experts out there.. would that even work? Would the area be too hot for epoxy to stay solid? Is this housing replaceable? It looks like its all one massive piece of the engine.

Thanks for any and all help. Also if anyone is keeping score on oil consumption. I am at about 2.6k on this change and am below halfway in the "safe" area. I use 6 qts 5w20.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's been a while since I changed my PCV but does it not pop right into the valve cover? If that's the case then just replace the valve cover. It's dark otherwise I'd go look.

Your 5w-20 could also be a contributing factor. Move to 5w-30 or maybe even 5w-40 if you notice the consumption pick up quite a bit. While the 20 is the 'correct' spec oil, it's only to maximize fuel economy in a lab environment, it's not about maximizing your engine life.
The following users liked this post:
John Parkhurst (01-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It's been a while since I changed my PCV but does it not pop right into the valve cover? If that's the case then just replace the valve cover. It's dark otherwise I'd go look.

Your 5w-20 could also be a contributing factor. Move to 5w-30 or maybe even 5w-40 if you notice the consumption pick up quite a bit. While the 20 is the 'correct' spec oil, it's only to maximize fuel economy in a lab environment, it's not about maximizing your engine life.
I think you're right it does just plug into the valve cover. I'm not a very mechanical guy, electronics are my thing. I repair servo drives for a living. Is the valve cover something I can just take off and put the new one on? Or do I need to drain the oil first? Anything?

I'm assuming it's going to be a difficult and lengthy process.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

No need to drain the oil, just make sure no debris drops into the engine when you've got the cover off. Check out the link below as well as the video. The link has the covers incorrectly named 'cylinder head covers' when they're valve covers. Pretty simple task and the cover should be cheap enough. Rock auto or the dealer should have what you need if your local auto parts store doesn't have it.

HELP -- Replacing valve cover - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

https://youtu.be/LbcOiIxsYl8
Old 10-12-2016, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The link has the covers incorrectly named 'cylinder head covers' when they're valve covers.
The JK parts book and the JK service manual call it cylinder head cover.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

That seems like an odd name for it, but thank you for the info Ron. I learn something new every day!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

That seems like an odd name for it, but thank you for the info Ron. I learn something new every day!
My '88 XJ and MJ manuals, and my old slant six manuals call it cylinder head cover, too. I had to go back to my 1960's Scout manual to see it called valve rocker cover.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

How much $$ is a valve cover (driver's side)?
Old 10-12-2016, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

No need to drain the oil, just make sure no debris drops into the engine when you've got the cover off. Check out the link below as well as the video. The link has the covers incorrectly named 'cylinder head covers' when they're valve covers. Pretty simple task and the cover should be cheap enough. Rock auto or the dealer should have what you need if your local auto parts store doesn't have it.

HELP -- Replacing valve cover - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

https://youtu.be/LbcOiIxsYl8
Thanks brother! That's all the info I need, perfect.

Originally Posted by dmwil
MOPAR has the 3.8 right side for ~$70. I'm sure I'll pay more at the stealership but seeing as how there's a broken piece on mine I feel like I need to do this swap asap. 2009 Jeep Wrangler. #4648976AD: Engine Valve Cover. Valve cover.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by dmwil
Search for 04648976AB.
The parts book shows it's the one with the PCV valve, but it calls it Cover, Cylinder Head, Right. The cover with the PCV valve is on the left side of the engine.

Quick Reply: PCV Valve Housing