Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

PCM Question ( Not a how to)

Old 12-07-2018, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Question ( Not a how to)

So, I’ve read the threads concerning the reset procedures and I’m comfortable with the process, but I have a slightly different question. Last year I bought a used 2016 JKU Backcountry. It had like 20,000 miles on it. I’ve noticed that it hasn’t adjusted to my driving style. I’m assuming the previous owners’ adaptive memory is set - if that’s still how it functions. Would you guys recommend a PCM reset to clear the adaptive memory? Is it possible the previous owners driving habits/style is still stored, or does it continue to learn on 2016+ models? Basically I just notice shift lags on acceleration; increased need for oil changes after minimal driving (under 3,000 miles) with no off-road use, significant under performance when using in ice/wet conditions- even in 4low. Not sure if the PCM is the cause or not; but I recently had a trans&diff service and no change in issues.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The automatic transmission's adaptive memory relates to such things as shift time, clutch filling time, clutch filling pressure, and torque converter lock-up control.
It does this to compensate for manufacturing tolerances, and normal wear.
Driving style adaptation has no memory at all. It adapts to the driver's style only for the moment, based on inputs from various sensors.
If you drive aggressively, it changes the shift points to match. When you go back to a more conservative driving style, it goes right back to the base settings.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man, I appreciate the info. I was curious because I read in the other threads that the driving style or whatever it’s called gets set in the adaptive memory after 50 warm up cycles and remains static from that point. I’m assuming that was only the case on older models.

Quick Reply: PCM Question ( Not a how to)