Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Patriot with higher towing capacity

Old 10-07-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Remember that you don't tow in OD, so take that into consideration if you're basing it on drive ratio's.

Bottom line is that we all know they can tow more than the stated numbers. Can they tow more 'safely'? Debatable, but yes. But can they tow more and have the insurance company actually pay a claim after you lose control and wipe out the family in the little subcompact in front of you? Hmm...
I know not to include the overdrive, I am comparing 1-3 in auto and 1-5 in manual Here is the final drive comparison not factoring tires in:

Gear:-------Manual(NSG370 w/ 3.21rear)------------Auto(42RLE w/ 3.73 rear)
1......................14.32...................... ..............................10.59
2........................8.38..................... .................................5.86
3........................5.52..................... .................................3.73

So, aside from the 1:1 gear(5th for manual, 3rd for auto) all the ratios are clearly higher for the manual trans with 3.21. ANd it shouldnt be limited by clutch since with 3/73 the manual is rated to tow the same as the auto (3500lbs)

Last edited by JerseyMark; 10-07-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You answered your own question inadvertently.

It wouldn't have much power for hwy driving unless you rode around in 4th gear, which would be turning a lot of RPM for extended cruising.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atl JK
You answered your own question inadvertently.

It wouldn't have much power for hwy driving unless you rode around in 4th gear, which would be turning a lot of RPM for extended cruising.
I see what you are saying but 4.01 doesnt seem that bad for 4th gear for highway. That would be lower than an auto with 4.10s and OD off
Old 10-11-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Jeeps can tow a hell of a lot more wt than the manual sez: If you're towing more than 2k lbs you need to have brakes on the trailer and air assist in the rear springs for anti-sway. I pull an E-2 pop top camper trailer for two years now, and aside from wishing I had a V-8 or a turbo for more power, it tows like a dream, no stopping issues and no sway.

Quick Reply: Patriot with higher towing capacity