Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Patriot with higher towing capacity

Old 10-06-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reasons its so low with 3.21 gears is tha same reason why you can't go up a hill in the hardest gear on a pedal bike but with the same person or engine power you can go up the same hill with the same bike but in an easier gear. i know you can down shift with the jeep as well but think of the bike again, the gears you are changing are the ones out back not up front. think of only being able to play with the front gears on the bike and having it still in the last one out back. your 3.21 is out back and can't be changed but the front can, being your tranny.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl JK
1000 lbs is only for the two door without tow package. Mine has a 3500 lb tow capacity because its a 4 door with tow.
1000lbs is a two door with 3.21 gears. Two doors with 3.73's has a capacity of 2000lbs. I don't think there is a difference between tow package and not since you can't really two anything without the hitch.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Locklain
1000lbs is a two door with 3.21 gears. Two doors with 3.73's has a capacity of 2000lbs. I don't think there is a difference between tow package and not since you can't really two anything without the hitch.
Transmission cooler for the autos and I think there might be a difference in spring rates.

I added the "tow package" to mine. Just the hitch and wiring. Its a 6 speed Rubicon Unlimited so it already had the heaviest springs available.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Locklain
According to Jeeps website and the owner manual. A 4 Door unlimite with 3.21 gearing is still only rated at 1000lbs just like the 2 door.

Also, I understand the gearing thing. But if you look at the automatic with 3.73 gearing it can tow 3500lbs but the 1st through 3rd gears are much more spaced than the manual and do not have as high ratios. So, it seems that the final drive ratio would be worse for towing than the manual with 3.21 gearing.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Remember that you don't tow in OD, so take that into consideration if you're basing it on drive ratio's.

Bottom line is that we all know they can tow more than the stated numbers. Can they tow more 'safely'? Debatable, but yes. But can they tow more and have the insurance company actually pay a claim after you lose control and wipe out the family in the little subcompact in front of you? Hmm...

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-06-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Remember that you don't tow in OD, so take that into consideration if you're basing it on drive ratio's.

Bottom line is that we all know they can tow more than the stated numbers. Can they tow more 'safely'? Debatable, but yes. But can they tow more and have the insurance company actually pay a claim after you lose control and wipe out the family in the little subcompact in front of you? Hmm...
That is the point I keep making. Still, lots of people say they tow beyond the limit with no problems. Well, they haven't been to court yet!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
JK Unlimited with manual tranny and 3.21 gears can only tow 1000 lbs
Jeep Patriot w/ tow package can tow 2000 lbs
This is funny!

Seriously, I drove 600 miles with my Patriot (manual) and a 1800 lbs trailer-tent with no problem. I drove also across the mountains in Vermont, and really no problem
Old 10-07-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
If you really want some good 'venting' material, just look at the tow limit for European JK's...
this is what I was thinking, you want to upgrade your JK towing capacity, read an international manual seriously American companies are too afraid of law suits and liabilities.........
Old 10-07-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by robin
this is what I was thinking, you want to upgrade your JK towing capacity, read an international manual seriously American companies are too afraid of law suits and liabilities.........
You can't blame the companies. People like to sue.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You can't blame the companies. People like to sue.
Exactly, and if you are in an collision and are over your payload guess what is gonna happen . . .

There are no such things as accidents, only human error.

Quick Reply: Patriot with higher towing capacity