Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Patching up firewall Insulation

Old 11-04-2010, 03:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Patching up firewall Insulation

I was checking the oil on my JK and I noticed that part of the firewall behind my battery was chewed up. I found mouse droppings around the battery tray. Needless to say I'm getting rat poison to place under the hood and I am glad that it doesnt seem to have gotten to the wiring.

What I was wondering is, if there is a way to patch the firewall insulation. Basically the mouse has stripped the black coating but the underneath insulation is in good shape. Could I just use duct tape or something to cover it? Or should I try to replace the insulation? The problem with replacing it is that it looks like a big job and seems to be one huge piece covering the eniire firewall.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 AM
JK Freak

I would say price out your options before deciding. If it is less than $100 in cost between buying a new piece of insulation from the dealer compared to doing a patch job in some other way, I would get new stock insulation.

I am not usually one to think stock is better than something people can come up with, but with some of the engine fires that the JKs have come up with, I would hate for you to patch it yourself without OEM material and for you to have an engine fire and for Chrysler to blame your patch job for the fire. If you keep all the protective equipment like that insulation stock, there is no way for them to find you to be at fault for any fires.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tpm152
I would say price out your options before deciding. If it is less than $100 in cost between buying a new piece of insulation from the dealer compared to doing a patch job in some other way, I would get new stock insulation.

I am not usually one to think stock is better than something people can come up with, but with some of the engine fires that the JKs have come up with, I would hate for you to patch it yourself without OEM material and for you to have an engine fire and for Chrysler to blame your patch job for the fire. If you keep all the protective equipment like that insulation stock, there is no way for them to find you to be at fault for any fires.

Good Point. I think I will price it today. I'm a little worried about how difficult it will be to install since it goes around all the things that go into the firewall.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not use duct tape in a underhood application, especially a heat shield, it will eventually go away.

I have used that expanding foam stuff and some metal tape that is used on metal heat ducting (both available at your hardware store) on firewall insulation on other rigs. Worked just fine.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Black RTV and a popsicle stick to trowel it on smoothly. .... Plus it is a Mil-Spec fix.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
I was checking the oil on my JK and I noticed that part of the firewall behind my battery was chewed up. I found mouse droppings around the battery tray. Needless to say I'm getting rat poison to place under the hood and I am glad that it doesnt seem to have gotten to the wiring.

What I was wondering is, if there is a way to patch the firewall insulation. Basically the mouse has stripped the black coating but the underneath insulation is in good shape. Could I just use duct tape or something to cover it? Or should I try to replace the insulation? The problem with replacing it is that it looks like a big job and seems to be one huge piece covering the eniire firewall.
Just wondering , do you park your Jeep outside or inside a garage. This time of the year for small rodents moving into warmer buildings. A Garage could be your worst enemy if not sealed well from rodents getting in. I bomb the hell out of my garage and have land mines worth of mouse traps, and still to this date ,especially with the cold weather moving in, i remove many carcuses from the garage on a dail basis. My garage is useless for leaving any vehicle overnight, the mice will eat all the wiring in one night.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
Just wondering , do you park your Jeep outside or inside a garage. This time of the year for small rodents moving into warmer buildings. A Garage could be your worst enemy if not sealed well from rodents getting in. I bomb the hell out of my garage and have land mines worth of mouse traps, and still to this date ,especially with the cold weather moving in, i remove many carcuses from the garage on a dail basis. My garage is useless for leaving any vehicle overnight, the mice will eat all the wiring in one night.

I sometimes do use the garage but I assumed that it helped prevent rodent problems. I have a 2 car attached garage. Ine side has my firebird, the other side I alternate with my wife. I'll have to put some rat poison in the garage too and will check the other cars.

Quick Reply: Patching up firewall Insulation