Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Passenger side air bag

Old 11-03-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side air bag

When starting my JK the passenger side air bag /OFF momentarily comes on. Just trying to figure out if my passenger airbag is on or not. If not how do I activate it?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When starting the Jeep the air bag light/indicator (the Yellow one) located down near the shifter, will come on for a moment as part of the bulb check. If the light goes out then your airbag is ready to deploy if needed. If it stays on then it won't. The passenger seat has a component in it that determines, by weight, if there is a small person (child) sitting in it that could be severely injured by the bag and it automatically turns it off.

If the airbag light in the instrument cluster (a red one) comes on and stays on then the computer has determined that there is a problem with the whole airbag system that needs to be checked and repaired by the dealer asap.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheQuiet1
When starting the Jeep the air bag light/indicator (the Yellow one) located down near the shifter, will come on for a moment as part of the bulb check. If the light goes out then your airbag is ready to deploy if needed. If it stays on then it won't. The passenger seat has a component in it that determines, by weight, if there is a small person (child) sitting in it that could be severely injured by the bag and it automatically turns it off.

If the airbag light in the instrument cluster (a red one) comes on and stays on then the computer has determined that there is a problem with the whole airbag system that needs to be checked and repaired by the dealer asap.

Thanks for the info. That what I thought but just wanted someone to confirm.

Quick Reply: Passenger side air bag