Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Passenger door leak - but on the bottom?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fivenote
I got this leak. I noticed my front passenger carpet getting wet after heavy rains. I was sure it was coming in somewhere from the top corner, but as I was spraying the hose I saw the water coming in over the door sill!

It was coming in where I'm shining my flashlight in the picture.

Attachment 321340

I checked the weatherstrip at the bottom of the door. It was seated ok, but could be pulled out easily like it's not glued in. By comparison the drivers side door seal seems glued in. There was also water up in the groove where the weatherstrip is seated. If I squeezed a little, water comes out.

So it seems water is coming down the door, getting behind the unglued weather strip and running out of the groove and into the jeep.

My first attempt will be to re-glue the seal with the 3m weather strip adhesive as suggested in another post.

Anyone have success with that?
That's exactly the spot mine (I'm the OP) was leaking in as well. Dealer replaced the rubber seal all around the door, now it definitely fits much more snugly and no leaks.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's my update on this leak...

Before re-gluing or replacing the weatherstripping I first put some silicone lube on it and cleaned it real good. Hasn't leaked a drop since and has been in some big rains all summer.

I'm guessing that when it was dry, it would bind up a bit when the door closed and caused the leak.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine leaks in the exact same spot, dampens my carpet but it dries out quick. The weird thing is that it spontaneously leaks then just stops for a month or so.

Quick Reply: Passenger door leak - but on the bottom?