Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Passenger door leak - but on the bottom?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so heres the deal on my end..
I pulled the door off. I just got this thing back mind you from the dealer and the service tech must be one heck of an idiot. It sat there for 9 days while they waited for parts and install .
When i laid the door down the bottom of the door seal area wasnt in the track. I thought it was strange and looked into it a bit more and sure enough the there are two tracks on the door for the seal to "click" into (it doesnt really click but press into place). After installing it the way it should have been i ran water over the door and the roof for 10 minutes and not a drop came in. Frikin dealership morons .

After its in place its really in there almost hard to remove.

This is the biggest reason i have done everything myself for the past 20+ years and i guess i will have to continue it longer.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, I forgot I had asked this question. Lots of good answers here. I'll check my door seal tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, checked my door seal, all looks good. The leak is definitely coming in from the hole in the bottom of the rubber seal at the base of the door. So somehow it's getting behind the seal. I suppose the next step is to either take it to the dealer or try sealing it up top like one of the earlier posters suggested.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

As if its just something that wants to test me,, my leak is back.. Not so much while driving but definitely when parked. And its not anywhere as bad as it was but its still a constant drip during rain.

We had a couple real hard rains and its drippin from the same spot.
I may try the weather strip sealant, but then again i may try a different dealer. I'm so sick of something so simple being a headache.

Do you have the door sill protector at the bottom? I installed the Jeep branded plastic one just curious if you have one or not.?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dntouch
As if its just something that wants to test me,, my leak is back.. Not so much while driving but definitely when parked. And its not anywhere as bad as it was but its still a constant drip during rain.

We had a couple real hard rains and its drippin from the same spot.
I may try the weather strip sealant, but then again i may try a different dealer. I'm so sick of something so simple being a headache.

Do you have the door sill protector at the bottom? I installed the Jeep branded plastic one just curious if you have one or not.?
No door sill protector here.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I decided to call Chrysler and start a case number for this. I'm going to a different dealer tomorow. I dont usually get upset at the small stuff like this but when i pulled back the carpet i almost choked from the smell. I just turned 1000 miles and i have owned this 5 weeks, a smell like that usually comes from a vehicle around 10 years old and several winters use.

I dont know how some of you guys/ gals can and do put up with this during every rain or drizzle. Unless you live in a climate where you dont see much precipitation i dont find it exceptable to have to air out a new vehicle after every rain or car wash.
With a huge fan blowing into it like this.

I just spent literally 2.5 hours in the garage with water pouring and / or sprinkling over it, and i was trying to find a simple fix to my issues but i cant. This is even after i had recieved the new (updated) door seal on that door and the dealer having my vehicle for 9 of the best summer days we've had. They had it longer than i did at that point.

From the time i just spent in the garage i think i may have nailed the bottom of the door leak issue but then of course like everything else surrounding this thing it started coming in from another area (on top).. I never even touched the door seal or anything else that should have made any difference in another leak making itself pop up, but i'm glad it did so i could get some pictures to document everything before the next dealership is involved.

The bottom leak for me i think, had alot to do with the door sill protector (i think). The reason behind it is the factory door surround has a dimple or relief in the bottom of the door where after water tracks down the seal it has a place to exit. With the sill protector in place its completely covered up and allows water to continue down the track until it spills into the cabin area on top the black plastic floor entry cover thingy.
Heres a picture of the dimple.

Water was running down this area, i could plainly see it constantly dripping and following that door seal. It the area in red. Now in any other vehicle i have ever owned not once do i remember water using the inside of a vehicle seal to track water? If its getting inside the vehicle to me it seems something isnt right.

Water then started coming in here.

And dripped to here.

Then kept going on down like this. Which over time i would guess wouldnt be good for the switch either.

I looked into a lot of different things that i have read on either this forum or others, and my door seems to be aligned correctly (although it does "pop open" harder than the 3 other doors). I am fine with not having the sill potector in place or maybe cutting it down length wise to at least allow for water to use the correct path out. But with that said i have one on all the doors so why was the passenger door the issue?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKlad
In my case it runs down the length of the A-pillar from the seal at the top where the Freedom Panel meets the A-pillar at the windshield during heavy rain if it's parked facing downhill, .[/B]
i have the same problem, only when i have my soft top on. I got my JKU 4dr in October of 2010. First my hard top leaked. Dealer fixed it, no charge. That was the last for the hard top. Then I put the soft top on. Leaked like crazy, they fixed it, was fine, then got worse. No charge once again. They then fixed it a second time, and still same results.

Water comes in driver side a pillar, passenger side rear of front door up top along with the front almost similar to this thread. Needless to say, I have learned to somewhat deal with it. I pulled the carpet, pulled the plugs, try to keep everything off the floor. However I would love to fix this!!!! I would one day like to put my carpet back in!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Took mine to the dealership to discuss, along with a couple of other small glitches, they were aware and have a part

Don't know if there's a recall, but the SA asked where the water was coming in and said "oh yeah, can take care of real quick.". Of course the part is on back order.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Well my issue is now fixed.. Thanks to a dealer that actually cares about who they service even if you didnt buy from them (and will from this point on)..

I found out that this particular dealer looked into the RRT and found that the previous idiots only installed one of the 5 parts listed in the bulletin ..

After they did quite extensive water tests they found that when they did the RRT the right way with "all" the parts it didnt comepletly fix the issue. They had to actually order in a new door seal (yes even on a new vehicle) and that resolved everything finally.
They ran water over it for 2.5 hours on a Saturday and then another 4 on a Monday. I'd say that they did an over and above job on my vehicle and would recommend this place to anyone in the area. They same night i picked it up it actually rained all night and the next morning it was bone dry.

Hopefully you guys get all your issues fixed and maybe this thread will help someone in the future.

I feel like i have a new vehicle again (or finally)
Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dntouch
Well my issue is now fixed.. Thanks to a dealer that actually cares about who they service even if you didnt buy from them (and will from this point on)..

I found out that this particular dealer looked into the RRT and found that the previous idiots only installed one of the 5 parts listed in the bulletin ..

After they did quite extensive water tests they found that when they did the RRT the right way with "all" the parts it didnt comepletly fix the issue. They had to actually order in a new door seal (yes even on a new vehicle) and that resolved everything finally.
They ran water over it for 2.5 hours on a Saturday and then another 4 on a Monday. I'd say that they did an over and above job on my vehicle and would recommend this place to anyone in the area. They same night i picked it up it actually rained all night and the next morning it was bone dry.

Hopefully you guys get all your issues fixed and maybe this thread will help someone in the future.

I feel like i have a new vehicle again (or finally)
Its been several days, are you still dry? I have a small stream that runs from the bottom of my pass door everytime it rains (& we have had a lot of rain lately) I plan on bringing it to the dealer when I get back from vacation and I'd like to give them something specific to look for.
I've been thinking of adopting a pet goldfish to keep in the pass footwell

Quick Reply: Passenger door leak - but on the bottom?