Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Passenger door leak - but on the bottom?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger door leak - but on the bottom?

Last several months my 2010 JKU passenger side front door has been leaking during rain storms - but from the bottom of the door frame. I can see a small rivulet of water running from the bottom of the door where it contacts the tub and then it runs right into the foot well. Hardly a crisis, but I have to keep pulling out my floor mats and hoping for a sunny day to dry things out.

It seems like water must be running down along the door frame somehow. But it comes in from the middle of the base of the door rather than the front or back edge. No issues with the drivers side door at all. Anyone have ideas on how to tackle this?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same issue on my rear driver's side door. I just spent the last several hours making several adjustments & then testing with the garden hose in between each adjustment. Darn thing is still leaking. For now, I just decided to leave the carpet out & I pulled the drain plug under the rear seat. Let me know if you figure out how to get yours fixed.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

I noticed the thick rubber gasket coming out of the track on the driver's door of my 2008 and once I fought it back in place, no more problems!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BagOfDoorknobs
Last several months my 2010 JKU passenger side front door has been leaking during rain storms - but from the bottom of the door frame. I can see a small rivulet of water running from the bottom of the door where it contacts the tub and then it runs right into the foot well. Hardly a crisis, but I have to keep pulling out my floor mats and hoping for a sunny day to dry things out.

It seems like water must be running down along the door frame somehow. But it comes in from the middle of the base of the door rather than the front or back edge. No issues with the drivers side door at all. Anyone have ideas on how to tackle this?
Same issue here on a new 2011 Sport 2dr. Water comes in from bottom of passenger door. The thick rubber weatherstrip around the door has little holes located all around it and water seems to run out of the bottom most hole and into the footwell.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just pickedu my brand new 11 four door 4 weeks ago. Noticed the same issue and brought it to the dealer. It sat there for 9 damn days so they could test it and waited for parts. They finally got the parts and installed and it still leaks. ????

They said it was called an RRT rapid repair transmittal and should be taken care of when a vehicle comes in for service at any time, yeah right..

I did add a plastic Jeep door sill protector and I thought maybe that was my issue ? I'm going to keep track of this and bring it to another dealer to see if they have any ideas. Obviously this an issue for alot of people, I can't believe a newer vehicle like this still has these issues.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem with mine so I took it to the dealer on the day the leak doctor was there. He ended up gluing the door seals in all the way around. Problem solved. He said that water gets behind the seal and pools up at the bottom until it gets high enough to enter the vehicle. He also said that 99% of the jeep leaks he fixes are due to the door seals not being glued down.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same problem on my 2011 2dr, brought it in once with the hard top on, supposedly fixed, leaked the next day. Still leaks with the soft top.

I'll have to mention glueing the seal in, because it's VERY easy to pull it out at the top corner where it meets the windshield.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danmill15
I had the same problem with mine so I took it to the dealer on the day the leak doctor was there. He ended up gluing the door seals in all the way around. Problem solved. He said that water gets behind the seal and pools up at the bottom until it gets high enough to enter the vehicle. He also said that 99% of the jeep leaks he fixes are due to the door seals not being glued down.
Yes good to know..

I went out this morning and did a leak test myself and at first it leaked, then i pushed the seal in a little better and it went away. So i'm thinking this may be spot on.

Kind of a goofy seal system how it comes in from behind essentially so when the door closes its pushed out of the channel that holds the seal, instead of being pushed into it.

Need to go get some good adhesive.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to a automotive supply jobber and get a tube of 3M weatherstrip adhesive,black. CLEAN the gasket mating surface and the channel and follow the tube instructions. Too much adhesive is as bad as none.... This type of leak can also be caused by clogged drain holes in the bottom of the door, but the door will ''slosh'' when closing it.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Leaking through trim hole at bottom

In my case it runs down the length of the A-pillar from the seal at the top where the Freedom Panel meets the A-pillar at the windshield during heavy rain if it's parked facing downhill, but there was a thread recently here where a guy pulled the lower trim panel (the one at foot level) and found that water was running in through the hole that the trim attachment clip plugs into; squirted some silicone around it, re-inserted the clip & all good apparently.

Quick Reply: Passenger door leak - but on the bottom?