Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Parking break issue

Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murdoc319

i had the ratchet go last fall, but when i park it on an incline the jeep moves a touch and i hear a loud metallic click that i reallly dont like.. i hate the whole E-brake in general
Sorry I'm on my phone, does it feel like its engaging but the jeep moves? Mine feels like its engaging but it would down a slight incline for miles if not in gear. It really sucks on steep trails and rocks. Even pit new shoes on the driver side but no luck holding the jeep
Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think they are just junk to begin with, member on the fourm just told me to leave it in gear...
Old 07-19-2011, 09:12 PM
JK Newbie

I was just browsing some Jeep forums and came across a thread that was titled "Self calibrating your Jeep E-Brake". I do not have the link but the theory behind the thread was this...throw it in drive or 1st gear and go forward and pull the e-brake until the vehicle stops, then put it in reverse and go backward and pull the e-brake again until the vehicles stops. Repeat 2 or 3 times and your e-brake will have re-adjusted itself. Mind you, this is not a permanent fix for faulty parts but it did increase the tension on mine enough to make it worth using. I guess what happens is when we pull the e-brake, the spring weakens and 1 of the cables gets pulled further than the other. Doing this little Jeep dance with the e-brake pulls the cables so the tension on both is closer to being equal to one another. If you try it and it doesn't work...sorry, but it did help mine so hopefully you can have similar results. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cgraham
I was just browsing some Jeep forums and came across a thread that was titled "Self calibrating your Jeep E-Brake". I do not have the link but the theory behind the thread was this...throw it in drive or 1st gear and go forward and pull the e-brake until the vehicle stops, then put it in reverse and go backward and pull the e-brake again until the vehicles stops. Repeat 2 or 3 times and your e-brake will have re-adjusted itself. Mind you, this is not a permanent fix for faulty parts but it did increase the tension on mine enough to make it worth using. I guess what happens is when we pull the e-brake, the spring weakens and 1 of the cables gets pulled further than the other. Doing this little Jeep dance with the e-brake pulls the cables so the tension on both is closer to being equal to one another. If you try it and it doesn't work...sorry, but it did help mine so hopefully you can have similar results. Good luck!
That's interesting!! I read an earlier thread about adjusting the EB with a brake adjusting tool just like we usta do before self-adjusting drum brakes. There is an adjusting wheel for the EB that is just like a drum brake adjuster. One on each side.

This drill to tighten up the EB is exactly how you could tighten up drum brakes having self-adjusters: Back up and hit the pedal repeatedly. Only difference is you pull the EB handle instead of hitting the brake pedal. Hydraulic disc brakes are inherently self-adjusting, but the EB cable is not so there is an adjuster. Sounds like the EB adjuster wheel may have an auto-adjuster like the old drum brakes.

Great trick if it works! Much easier than climbing under with the tool.

I've read about the EB handle and linkage falling apart. Some think it happens because of yanking hard on an EB that won't hold. If it is this easy to keep the EB adjusted, it might help with the linkage failure problem.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

There is no self-adjusting mechanism in the Jeep JK e-brake. When you do the accelerate and brake nonsense, you are just equalizing the two cables. That may provide some relief from one side or the other being weak. But the JK Jeep design is terrible. I found it virtually impossible to adjust the e-brake star wheel without removing the drum. And even then, with new pads literally dragging against the drum, the e-brake still doesn't hold the Jeep very well. It just a sucky design--Chrysler should be embarassed. It's an EMERGENCY brake for crying out loud!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Warranty??

Just pulled the e handle this morning and "snap"... now e brake handle is inoperative. Think cable or whatever is attached to handle has snapped. What is the warranty on this component? 2008 with 45k KMS
Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by noteasybeinggreen
Just pulled the e handle this morning and "snap"... now e brake handle is inoperative. Think cable or whatever is attached to handle has snapped. What is the warranty on this component? 2008 with 45k KMS
It should be part of the basic, vehicle warranty. Here in the U.S. that would be three years/36K miles. Not certain what the warranty would be up in Canada, though. Didn't they give you a copy of the warranty? If not, you can probably find it at Jeep.com (Jeep.ca?).
Old 08-22-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hound
Today is the third time my parking brake has gone out. Twice it has been dealer replaced. Anyone else having an issue with the spring going out?

my 2008 4dr went 3 times as well. replaced by dealer all three times. holds for a few months then goes, about to go again actually. i'm getting pretty sick of this since i park on a slight incline everyday
Old 08-22-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is so funny my 2011 3300 miles I was messing around in my warehouse when I parked this morning and now it has a grudging noise in the handle when I apply my p brake

Quick Reply: Parking break issue