Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Parking break issue

Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking break issue

Today is the third time my parking brake has gone out. Twice it has been dealer replaced. Anyone else having an issue with the spring going out?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hound
Today is the third time my parking brake has gone out. Twice it has been dealer replaced. Anyone else having an issue with the spring going out?
i had the ratchet go last fall, but when i park it on an incline the jeep moves a touch and i hear a loud metallic click that i reallly dont like.. i hate the whole E-brake in general
Old 07-19-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

yea my 2011 with 9k miles, just doesnt' work worth a shit. i guess time to go bitch at the dealer.....
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Its seems as though its the spring on mine again.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i can tell the parking brake was never that great on our jeeps they work ok...if you adjust them.

i think in some cases some dont adjust them often enough and crank on the handle which breaks parts.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Conagher1851
Mine broke completely at 33,000 miles and a time-expired warranty. the dealership still fixed it for free. I pulled it up one day and the cable snapped, making the handle useless. They replaced the entire linkage, springs, and handle. Evidently, they know it is an issue.
Mine snapped completely too out of warranty but I had to pay for the problem. Told me they weren't having many complaints about the ebrake Now I have a new one that is about a year old and still don't work. I have to put bricks behind my tires in the driveway or else my jeep will be in the street!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive had me E-brake looked at twice and apparently something is wrong on the inside assembly of the e-brake and they wont cover it :(
Old 07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

I've gotta pull the crap out of mine to keep the jeep in one place. A few times I've walked out of stores or what not and found the jeep had rolled halfway across the parking lot, once into a main road. Not cool. I've tried adjusting the cable underneath with little to no gain. Just a bad design.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conagher1851
maybe we should chock our jeeps like aircraft. that way they cant roll away.

That is an excellent idea!

Mine went out around 45k. Too lazy to fix it. It sucks on the trail.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tritonman
Ive had me E-brake looked at twice and apparently something is wrong on the inside assembly of the e-brake and they wont cover it :(
Where in Upstate NY are you? I had the dealer check mine out for a popping sound it was making while pulling on the handle. They replace the whole assembly without any issues.

Quick Reply: Parking break issue