Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Park won’t hold, won’t start in park or neutral

Old 07-22-2018, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park won’t hold, won’t start in park or neutral

Hey everyone

i have a 2009 JKU, when driving home from grocery shopping today, I pulled into the drive, shifted to park, and shut off the engine. The jeep started rolling backward. I tried to start the engine again and pull back into the driveway, but it will not start.

Initially it wouldn’t shift out of park, but I’ve resolved that. Now it refuses to start in either park or neutral. I suspect I may have sheared a parking pawl, but would that also stop the jeep from starting? I’ve got it in reverse with the e-brake holding it right now.

Any ideas? Any ideas how expensive it’ll be to solve the problem? Thanks!
Old 07-23-2018, 02:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Check the cable where it attaches to the transmission and the shifter under the console. I've seen more cables break, or the bushings that hold them to the shifter or shift lever than park pawls break.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd bet a cable bushing has broken. You can slide under the Jeep and manually put the trans in park.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. Its definitely the bushing. Thanks for all the help.

Im going to replace it, but it’s a tight clearance to get my hand there. The cable is held up by a bracket that I can’t fogure out how to release. Any wisdom on how to get that bracket to let loose so I can pull the cable down to work on it easier?

yall have already saved me hundreds of dollars. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Last edited by Choker; 07-26-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Park won’t hold, won’t start in park or neutral