Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Painting the inside of a hard top???

Old 11-27-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the inside of a hard top???

Has anyone painted or rhino lined the inside of their hardtop? I can't stand the factory white. My interior is black and dark gray. Just a thought.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-27-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Yep. I painted my freedom panels black and am working toward the rest. Yamaha90 bedlined his and put the JK logo on it. His is really nice.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

I did it this past Summer sanded down with medium grit sanding sponges wiped clean with alcohol taped off everything and sprayed. It took about 8 cans total for a nice dark even spread. It looks amazing compared to the nasty white that always seems to be dirty. Don't hesitate on doing this its well worth the effort.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fadeout
I did it this past Summer sanded down with medium grit sanding sponges wiped clean with alcohol taped off everything and sprayed. It took about 8 cans total for a nice dark even spread. It looks amazing compared to the nasty white that always seems to be dirty. Don't hesitate on doing this its well worth the effort.
Ugh I cleaned mine up today and it still looks dirty. This is on the list next summer when it comes off again!!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

It's worth it.. I did it over the course of 3 days being the top was off and in the garage so I could move slowly. If you hustle you could bang this out in 1 day and let it dry overnight. The fumes in the cab would be terrible though.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Hi I'm thinking about do this, but I was just wondering "8 cans of what" paint, bedliner?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 11-27-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

Bedliner. You will use all of it.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's worth it.. I did it over the course of 3 days being the top was off and in the garage so I could move slowly. If you hustle you could bang this out in 1 day and let it dry overnight. The fumes in the cab would be terrible though.
Haha yeah, the fumes are kinda rough I made the mistake of letting it finish drying while it was on the jeep....all closed up....made for a rather unpleasant 40 mile ride to school. I just used duplicolor spray on bed liner...stuff works wonders.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

that looks incredible!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

also, I wonder if it helps reduce cabin/wind noise due to (perhaps?) increased acoustic insulation? Maybe that's a stretch, but shouldn't should at leats a little, right? Looks bada$$ either way....

Quick Reply: Painting the inside of a hard top???