Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Paint color question

Old 05-02-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint color question

I have a new off the truck 2014 JKU. It had 8 miles on it. While underneath it I noticed it was more of a military green color, but didn't think anything of it. My Jeep is Anvil.
While pulling off the padding on the roll bars to install a soft top, they are all also the same military green color. What is up with this. They don't match the body color.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know they did underbody colors different but lots of people pull up their carpets and they have different colors. I took my roll bar padding off to wash it and I have white, gray, and black. My jeep is white.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

factory primer....they do not paint the entire body
Old 05-03-2014, 02:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL....my Bright Silver Jeep is Bright Silver all over.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Primer.......
Old 05-04-2014, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

X3 on primer... I have the same on my anvil. I wish they offered that color as an option for the entire body!
Old 05-04-2014, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

New vehicles aren't "primed" though the term is more a technicality. All primers must be sanded before paint.

The green color you see is the factory E-coat. This is the process where the entire body is dipped in an electrically charged bath, coating it with a very durable, corrosion resistant layer. It doesn't require any sanding to top coat.

From there the vehicles are "sealed" (which is like thin primer that you don't have to sand) with a greyscale (sometimes brown, blue or red also) that will be near the final color. This facilitates using as little color as possible to achieve coverage.

Now onto your observation. Not painting invisible or less visible areas of vehicles is becoming more and more common. For example, the newest Subaru Impreza and Ford Fusion, they don't even bother to paint the fender jams. They just apply the color with the panels shut, and whatever overspray gets in, is all the paint the internal panels get. I recently did a collision repair on a silver Honda Pilot and they didn't even paint the very visible door jams. They were just sealer gray, a tiny bit of silver overspray with full clear coat. I've been having to become more observant and creative in my work, as gone are they days of just painting the inside like the outside.

Quick Reply: Paint color question