Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0480 - Cooling Fan FAILURE - Diagnostic Help

Old 08-06-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my 08 kept burning up cooling fans for no apparent reason.. I learned alot about our jeeps fan motors then..

if you have gotten your fan bound up in the mud.. it more than likely tried to run for quite some time before it popped the fuse...

thesde motors have NO THERMAL PROTECTION.. and so the windings will partially short in them.. depending on which part of the insulation in the motor windings melt..

this changes the resistance of the fan motor to a lower value.. your fan may still run... albeit if you really checked your jeep to another.. your fan likely turns slower.. then the computer bumps it to high speed esp if the air-cond is on... the motor pulls too much current and pop goes the 60 amp fuse....

eventually the motor will finish burning up if you keep replacing the fuse....

im not sure what the resistance is on a good motor but I would start by taking a resistance reading from your motor.. .. someone with a good fan can take their resistance and compare the 2...

and also like another post stated make sure than fan turns easily by hand.. if you have your jeep off and the keys OUT.. give the fan a quick spin by hand.. it should easily coast for a few seconds / couple revolutions and slowly come to a stop... if it doesnt then the fan will pull excessive current and ruin the fuse..

this would indicate bad bearings
-Christopher
Old 01-02-2018, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan specs

Hey guys. Got a P0480 error. Not overheating, but is is COLD out right now. Fan spins freely, no popped fuses, swapped relays around. Tested voltage at the connector on the fan - getting 12v. Next was going to test the resistance of the fan. Can anyone tell me what I should expect? 2014 JKU.

Any other thought or suggestions are excepted!! Thanks
Jeremy in KY.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I had a problem on my 2012. It was a loose connection of something at the battery terminal. I think it was called a fusible link or something like that. Tightened the battery cable and all has been good since.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
there is a 60 AMP fuse in the TPIM (fuse box under the hood).. check it... if the fan was bound up that fuse likely smoked...

-Christopher
what is the fuse labeled?
Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedseakr
Hey guys. Got a P0480 error. Not overheating, but is is COLD out right now. Fan spins freely, no popped fuses, swapped relays around. Tested voltage at the connector on the fan - getting 12v. Next was going to test the resistance of the fan. Can anyone tell me what I should expect? 2014 JKU.

Any other thought or suggestions are excepted!! Thanks
Jeremy in KY.
Another member posted this article in a cooling thread I've been in. It might be helpful for you since you have a '14, to understand how our fan is working.

https://www.realjenius.com/2018/06/2..._radiator_fan/
Old 01-27-2023, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Another member posted this article in a cooling thread I've been in. It might be helpful for you since you have a '14, to understand how our fan is working.

https://www.realjenius.com/2018/06/2..._radiator_fan/
That code drive me crazy I have changed the fan I own Jk2012sport
fan new even relay new still low fan not working also from day to day I got check engine same error P0480 don't know what could be the fusbel cable can be change??how to tell is that fusable cable need to be replace can coolant sensor bank 1 responsible for that
Old Today, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed P0480

So i had the P0480 code for over a year. I had two mechanics look at it, I replaced EVERY sensor these forums suggested. I bought a new fan from amazon. I changed the TIPM....and i was just about ready to buy a new ECM, then I saw a new youtube video and the guy stated the jeep fan sends back a different "signal" than other fans. Come to find out the new fan wasnt sending the right "signal" back so it read as if nothing was there causing the P0480. This past weekend I ordered a used fan off ebay out of a jeep and i hooked it up last night reset the OBD and finally no more check engine light! I hope this post saves someone the headache i had. So on the plus side me JK has all new sensors all over so hopefully those last a while. My AC blows ICE cold since i changed the AC pressure sensor.

Quick Reply: P0480 - Cooling Fan FAILURE - Diagnostic Help