Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0456 Code, Small Evap Leak FIXED

Old 06-21-2016, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hose next the battery was my issue. For now I have just wrapped electrical tape around it.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Question P0457

I am having some similar issues. However, I have all the same symptoms as what most on this thread are having with one huge one that doesn't make sense. My jk will just shut down. Does anyone on here have any idea as to why and what my next right steps need to be. Thanks for any help or advice.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Also having this code. I just checked my hoses and nothing seems worn or cracked. The one by the battery doesn't touch my battery so seems in good shape. Was everyone able to clearly see they had wear and an issue when looking at the hoses?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by flyhigh
Also having this code. I just checked my hoses and nothing seems worn or cracked. The one by the battery doesn't touch my battery so seems in good shape. Was everyone able to clearly see they had wear and an issue when looking at the hoses?
Not sure what engine you're running, so I'll pretend that you've filled out your profile like you should in my answer and that you have a 3.8. On my 3.8 I wasn't able to see the hose until I pulled up the valve that is attached to the TIPM. It is a bent tube on the bottom of that valve that is a bit difficult to reach and, if slightly cracked, wouldn't be visible unless you pulled up the valve, rotate it as far as you could, then checked the bottom of that hose. If you're confident that you've checked the hose well, suggest checking the gas cap. You could clean up the seal seat for the cap and maybe put a little bit of silocone grease on the gas cap seal and massage it into the seal. Also check the lines at the evaporative canister to ensure that they are in good shape. Again, another issue that could be revealed in your profile had you filled it out: Has your evaporative canister been relocated? If so, double-check the seals--there is a rather delicate one that is notorious for getting mucked up when relocating the canister.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I solved mine yesterday(fingers crossed) flipped white piece over on relocated can and haven't had a CeL or gascap warning last 4 startups. FWIW I'm running a 2014 with the metalcloak relocation kit

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3419070931.jpg
Views:	3286
Size:	565.0 KB
ID:	662255
Old 12-16-2016, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Not sure what engine you're running, so I'll pretend that you've filled out your profile like you should in my answer and that you have a 3.8. On my 3.8 I wasn't able to see the hose until I pulled up the valve that is attached to the TIPM. It is a bent tube on the bottom of that valve that is a bit difficult to reach and, if slightly cracked, wouldn't be visible unless you pulled up the valve, rotate it as far as you could, then checked the bottom of that hose. If you're confident that you've checked the hose well, suggest checking the gas cap. You could clean up the seal seat for the cap and maybe put a little bit of silocone grease on the gas cap seal and massage it into the seal. Also check the lines at the evaporative canister to ensure that they are in good shape. Again, another issue that could be revealed in your profile had you filled it out: Has your evaporative canister been relocated? If so, double-check the seals--there is a rather delicate one that is notorious for getting mucked up when relocating the canister.

Google brought me to this thread. I didnt fill out a profile because I use wranglerforum for most of my JK needs. Thanks for your passive aggressive response i'll take a look at that stuff if it pops back up.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine has been doing this same thing and I will now have to look up by the battery. If that is not the issue I will just get rubber hose and replace the junk factory plastic of tubing.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

I found this hose (Stock Code 04627316AA
Transmission & Transfer Case > Case, Extension, Oil Pan, and Indicator (Dipstick)
Assemblies
Sensors, Vents And Quick Connectors) broken in half.

The other open hose I saw was from the relocated vacuum valve.

My code shows only every 5-6 months. Very frustrating. Where to go from here?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1489522699119516010120.jpg
Views:	2747
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	668326   Click image for larger version

Name:	14895233421901447661952.jpg
Views:	3056
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	668327  
Old 03-27-2017, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How did you resolve the issue? I am having the exact same issue 2012 JK Sport

Originally Posted by hazmat
I was plagued with this issue for two months. What I failed to understand as part of my troubleshooting was that the light would go out and stay out for a while after resetting. It would come on several days or weeks later. Someone on the forum posted that the Evap check only occurs between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of gas. This would explain in my case that I never found the issue but just delayed my troubleshooting. Once I did resolve the issue the light went off on its own.
How did you resolve the issue? I am having the exact same issue 2012 JK Sport
Old 03-28-2017, 02:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bpittman
How did you resolve the issue? I am having the exact same issue 2012 JK Sport
I don't know about him but on my 2012 it turned out to be the leak detection pump on my Evan canister. It's that white box. Disconnect your battery and install. Clear the code after that and you should be good

Quick Reply: P0456 Code, Small Evap Leak FIXED