Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0456 Code, Small Evap Leak FIXED

Old 08-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

52129436AA according to the 10 parts manual. Inflation is insane, it's $6.60 on Amazon now.
The following users liked this post:
Rednroll (08-21-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I seem to have gotten my P0456 CEL problem fixed.

Here's what I did.
- Started by 1st checking the purge valve by disconnecting it and trying to blow through it. (everything checked out ok...I couldn't blow through it).
- Then replaced my gas cap (52030387AB), reset the code, ran for 2 days and CEL came back.
- Then I replaced the Fuel Vapor Canister Leak Detection Pump (4861962AB) and its gasket (52129436AA). It's now been 2 weeks and the CEL has not come back on. Cross my fingers, but so far I think that was the fix for me.

So replacing this part and its gasket seems to have worked for me. The most important for me, was that it is now cold in my area and when the CEL is on, your remote start will no longer work and that sucks in my area once you've grown accustomed to using remote start in the winter.

The following users liked this post:
Jeepjirau (02-16-2024)
Old 03-04-2020, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relay

Originally Posted by 07RedRubi
After extensive searching I took it to the local Jeep shop who spent an entire day verifying that there was no leak. Mine turned out to be a failed relay. If all else fails, that may be the issue. Good luck.
Do you no what relay it was
Old 05-03-2020, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 10frank9
So for the past few months I've been battling the dang check engine light coming on even after a reset. Got the 0456 code and found out that it was the emission/ evap system "small leak." Most folks, including my mechanic suggested starting at the gas cap.

Big surprise, it came back on after a few hundred miles. I checked all of the evap/vacuum lines (or so I thought) and couldn't find the source. I read somewhere that the battery sometimes corrodes a vacuum line which is right next to it. I checked it and sure as hell, small hole from the battery acid or heat. I did a quick cheap and temporary fix in order to diagnose if that was the source of the code popping. I taped the line up with some electrical tape, and 500 miles later, still no codes popping! Thought I'd share this for anyone else who may be dealing with this frustrating code popping and likes to DIY. I'll be replacing the line soon, and figuring out a way to reroute it or shield it from the battery acid.

Once you see where this darn thing is you'll wonder what they were thinking putting it there in the first place. Anyhow, hope this helps someone.

Stay dirty my friends.
Is this the hole you are talking about? because its been driving me nuts, could you please tell me what you wrapped it with or what you used to fix it? thank you

[update]
Well, I plugged the hole and the CEL is still off, it had been on for so long that I'm actually starting to miss it.

Last edited by carbo; 05-19-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That's a problem there. You can use some self sealing tape, I think Gorilla makes one. Basically you pull and when you give it a good stretch before sticking it, it activates and makes it super sealed. You could probably get away with cheaper fixes but I would consider the sealing tape to be permanent.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you, I will give it a try
Old 08-24-2021, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

After extensive searching I took it to the local Jeep shop who spent an entire day verifying that there was no leak. Mine turned out to be a failed relay. If all else fails, that may be the issue. Good luck.
what relay?
Old 01-07-2023, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Any chance you know where the relay is?
I have tried everything in this thread aside from dropping the gas tank and plastic welding the port there. But that doesn’t seem like it would be my problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Hi there

same issue but where did you find the hole ? Near to the battery?
thank you
simon
Old 10-30-2023, 01:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by srallnutt
Hi there

same issue but where did you find the hole ? Near to the battery?
thank you
simon
Mine is moved slightly due to dual-batteries install, but I found the hole in mine years ago on the bottom of the purge control valve. It should be attached close to the battery or TIPM on a stock early JK (mine is a 2007). Pull it up and check the vacuum lines on the bottom for damage ...

Quick Reply: P0456 Code, Small Evap Leak FIXED